Talk

Advanced search

Is this the end of the world as we know it?

(162 Posts)
SubordinateThatClause Tue 10-Mar-20 20:12:28

Just that really. Not trying to be to hyped and dramatic about life. How far reaching do you think the consequences of this thing are going to be - economically, socially, politically? Will life ever get back to how it has been?

Let's face it. It's not going to just go away is it? Might just save the planet if the pollution reduction over China is anything to go by though.

OP’s posts: |
Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Tue 10-Mar-20 20:14:33

I think this is an example of that mumsnet classic response...

No. Which is of course a full sentence,

Mayaaaaa Tue 10-Mar-20 20:15:46

There will be fallout.

But in my personal world, our directors are using it as a test case to see if working from works in our company. It will make a massive difference to lots of us.

So there may be some positives that come out of it, on individual levels, I believe you always have to look for the good.

KickingItSince1966 Tue 10-Mar-20 20:16:24

Oh my days.

LynnSchmob Tue 10-Mar-20 20:17:04

No. 🤦‍♀️

backaftera2yearbreak Tue 10-Mar-20 20:17:07

I say this kindly.

Get a fucking grip 🙄

Namechangexyz1 Tue 10-Mar-20 20:17:44

Christ

The plague didn't wipe out humanity in the middle ages and back then we did not know that washing hands prevented disease transmission.

I despair of some people

welshpolarbear Tue 10-Mar-20 20:18:25

"Not trying to be dramatic" but using a heading of, "is this the end of the world as we know it" 😂

Iminaglasscaseofemotion Tue 10-Mar-20 20:20:09

Oh for God sake 🙄.

eeeyoresmiles Tue 10-Mar-20 20:20:25

I feel fine...

user14366425683113 Tue 10-Mar-20 20:21:15

The plague didn't wipe out humanity in the middle ages

No, but it did result in social change.

NemophilistRebel Tue 10-Mar-20 20:21:21

No

I’m worried for sure because of the Unknown’s but history repeats itself time and again and what it’s taught us is that humans are adaptable and resilient and viruses of all sorts are worse in winter and will calm down in summer

KisforKoala Tue 10-Mar-20 20:21:40

@eeyoresmiles you beat me to it! Gonna be stick in my head for the rest of the evening.

bengalcat Tue 10-Mar-20 20:21:47

No . Today it’s coronavirus - ‘ tomorrow ‘ it will be another microorganism .

aWeaponCalledtheWord Tue 10-Mar-20 20:21:50

yes, but i feel fine 🎵 🎶🎶

TheMemoryLingers Tue 10-Mar-20 20:24:02

I think people are taking a sprint approach - stockpiling, isolating themselves - when the reality will be a marathon. This will play out over months.

LynnSchmob Tue 10-Mar-20 20:24:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CokeEnStock Tue 10-Mar-20 20:25:21

Like everything that has gone before we will get through it. Hope it has a wake up effect that a decent well staffed heath service is SO necessary.

eeeyoresmiles Tue 10-Mar-20 20:26:26

Seriously... I don't know. Did the war end the world "as people knew it"? I think it did, in some ways, even though people went back to normal life afterwards. This should be shorter, but I think 'after' might still feel quite different to 'before', even if superficially some things might not have changed much by then. We'll have a had a short intense period of focusing on a common external enemy (the virus) with greater or lesser success and a lot of casualties. Some behaviour habits to stop infection might stick. Some new working habits might stick. It's looking like it will be the first significantly scary thing to have happened on the ground here in this country since WWII - generations have got used to living with no major threat, so that's quite a change. I've read that people really didn't talk much about the Spanish Flu after it happened, though, so perhaps it might just not get talked about much, but still have changed us all a bit. Once the scary stuff has gone, it will be interesting to see what changes.

DamselInTheStress Tue 10-Mar-20 20:27:53

I think a lot will change for a long time, just like it did with the financial crisis. It will eventually settle down again though. I agree with a pp that it’s probably going to be a marathon, not a sprint.

eeeyoresmiles Tue 10-Mar-20 20:28:40

Gonna be stick in my head for the rest of the evening.

And mine... thanks OP! grin

Stripeyfrog Tue 10-Mar-20 20:29:07

Out of interest what do you think would be a dramatic or hyped up title for a post...?

I think maybe there will be significant changes but possibly not all bad.

TheMemoryLingers Tue 10-Mar-20 20:29:12

I keep thinking of that Churchill quote. People think we are at the beginning of the end, but I don't think we've even reached the end of the beginning.

Namechangexyz1 Tue 10-Mar-20 20:29:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PicsInRed Tue 10-Mar-20 20:30:10

It's just a good robust SHTF, not TEOTWAWKI.

Helpful? 😉😷

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »