Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What does clomid do exactly?

(8 Posts)
Roobedoo Sun 14-Aug-05 14:40:58

I know I'm taking this and should therefore know, but I am rather ignorant of the facts. My friend described it as putting you into the menopause so that your body overproduces the hormones to produce eggs. This sounds odd to me. I appreciate that it makes you produce more follicles but are the eggs meant to be of improved quality or more fertile somehow? It's just that we've been ttc for 9/10 months now and I know we've been BD at the right time, so why, other than having more than one target (I have 3 follicles ready to pop this month) am I more likely to get pg this month than previous months? I have pcos - does this make you produce inferior quality eggs?

hunkermunker Sun 14-Aug-05 14:57:06

PCOS can make you not ovulate or the follicle ripens, but doesn't produce an egg, just a fluid-filled cyst (I think - I have it, but don't really know all that much about it!). Clomid stimulates ovulation, I think (DS was conceived on it - you'd think I'd know more about it!).

Good luck!

Roobedoo Sun 14-Aug-05 18:26:22

Bump

Twiglett Sun 14-Aug-05 18:28:32

consultant described it as 'jump starting' your hormones .. so obviously it has some kind of effect on your hormones

Twiglett Sun 14-Aug-05 18:28:51

(oops excuse redundant sentence)

Twiglett Sun 14-Aug-05 18:29:38

google...

Clomid works by suppressing the amount of naturally circulating estrogen and "tricks" the pituitary into producing more follicular stimulating hormone (FSH) and Luteinizing hormone (LH). These natural gonadotropic hormones (FSH and LH) then stimulate the ovaries to ripen a follicle and to extrude an ovum (egg).

Roobedoo Sun 14-Aug-05 18:32:48

Thanks. Do you think it produces better quality eggs then - or just more of a guarantee of producing them?

Twiglett Sun 14-Aug-05 18:34:44

well as you're born with all the egga you'll ever have I suppose its the latter it just helps them mature and release

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now