Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fertility decreases after caesarean section

(43 Posts)
Aragon Tue 02-Aug-05 08:57:09

Just found this

Interesting bit of research. I had a caesarean but was always sub-fertile anyway so it probably makes no difference to me.

nutcracker Tue 02-Aug-05 09:04:22

I've had 3 sections and the longest it ever took me to get pregnant was 3mths.

Aragon Tue 02-Aug-05 09:08:11

So it's obviously not true in every case then.

nutcracker Tue 02-Aug-05 09:08:39

Lol no

Twiglett Tue 02-Aug-05 09:11:16

interesting

I conceived within 2 months with DSn and had a c-section delivery

for 2nd child DD .. it took almost 2 years plus clomid

whimsy Tue 02-Aug-05 09:15:55

I had fertility treatment to conceive DS who was delivered by caesarean.
Have just had DS2 after conceiving naturally who was also a CS birth.
Dh is being sent to the doctors

aloha Tue 02-Aug-05 09:42:13

I've seen this before and thought there could be a zillion reasons why this could be so - that caesarians are normally the result of either problematic/risky pregnancies (pre-eclampsia, placenta praevia, obstetic cholesis (spelled wrongly) multiple births) or of prolonged and complicated deliveries. Any and all of which could easily make a woman decide to wait longer before having another baby or to not have another child. If you nearly died giving birth you might not want to risk it again. Also, caesarians are more common in older mothers who may well be less fertile for reasons which have nothing to do with the mode of birth. And people who have had fertility treatment and thus has multiples are also less likely to go on to have another child.
Of course it's worth doing more research to see exactly why this association occurs but I really think it is far too early to make any assumptions that caesarians themselves impair fertility. I had a caesarian for ds and got pregnant with dd at the age of 40 after one, ahem, attempt.

Aragon Tue 02-Aug-05 10:16:23

Am inclined to agree with you aloha.

oliveoil Tue 02-Aug-05 10:19:50

Balony.

section with dd1, pregnant with dd2 after 2 attempts.

Fio2 Tue 02-Aug-05 10:20:08

totally agree with aloha.

i tried for years to get pregnant with my first, had an em c-section

2nd child got preg, ahem, first attempt

not true in my place either

bundle Tue 02-Aug-05 10:21:20

dd1 - 3rd month
dd2 - 1st month (both girls c/s)

PeachyClair Tue 02-Aug-05 11:12:06

One of my oldest friends had IVF to conceive (they could have naturally but it would have taken years but her parents paid for it because they were in a hurry to get grandkids- long sad story involving loss of their eldest child )

Anyway, her baby was born by C-Section, yet she conceived her next baby within six months of starting to try naturally.

starrynight Tue 02-Aug-05 11:59:32

My understanding was that it could be because of a horrendous birth experience that ended in a caesarean rather than the actual caesarean itself IYKWIM.

starrynight Tue 02-Aug-05 12:00:33

Sorry- i.e. that a couple chose not to have further children because of traumatic birth experience not because of caesarean-induced medical reason. Hope you understand this gibberish and what I mean.

aloha Tue 02-Aug-05 12:03:59

I think that could very well be it.
On the other hand it could be that the surgery itself has an effect, but I think personally that it is more likely to be the former, so instead of clamping down on caesarians the emphasis should be on providing a better birth experience for women who want a vaginal birth with proper kind and sympathetic midwives who are present throughout etc etc.

starrynight Tue 02-Aug-05 12:06:47

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Aloha.

Sarahx2005 Tue 02-Aug-05 12:09:36

I had my first 3 babies naturally and all in the first month of trying. I had a missed miscarraige when trying for our fourth baby and then had to wait a while before trying again. It took about 3 months to conceive our daughter (now 16 months) and she was delivered by emergency section as she was breach and doing the splits (had been extended but decided to drop 1 foot so I had no chance of a natural birth). I then conceived when she was about 10 months old just a couple of months after finishing beast feeding, it was a total shock and we didn't really want another baby, but just as I was getting used to the idea I miscarried anyway. Well I had a positive pregnancy test last week which again was a shock (we really need to sort out contraception) but this time I felt really pleased but then started spotting and did another test on Friday which was negative. My own fault for testing too soon as it was obviously a failed pregnancy - not really a miscarraige as it happened at around the time my period was due, but nevertheless I was upset.
Anyway my point it - it seems that having a section hasn't decreased my fertility but I wonder if it is the reason for my failed pregnancies. I'm not sure - I know plenty of people who've had babies after section - posh spice for one! I think it's more likely to be my age - I'm 38 (39 in Nov), so maybe my baby making days are over.
I know I've been blessed with 4 beautiful children but we sadly lost our 4 year old son 3 years ago to a brain tumour so we always have the feeling that we are trying to complete our family. That can never happen now no matter how many children we have because Christopher isn't here.
Strange life isn't it!
Anyway that's my take on fertility after Caesarean.
Sarah x

bundle Tue 02-Aug-05 12:11:44

aloha, like most things I expect it's a combination of the 2.

Sarahx2005 Tue 02-Aug-05 12:23:13

I've just noticed the date that the study was taken 1980 and 1997. It's very out of date and I think things have moved on since then - probably even how the sections are performed too. If you've had a secion and are ttc I shouldn't worry too much about it, after all stress and worry are too big factors in preventing a lot of women conceiving.
Sarah x

aloha Tue 02-Aug-05 12:25:32

I do feel very lucky that I had major surgery on both my ovaries yet still managed to get pregnant twice very quickly. Think this was riskier than the caesarian tbh.

Sarahx2005 Tue 02-Aug-05 12:43:56

Hi, Well done Aloha. My section was very high risk too - they ended up taking my womb out because they just couldn't stop it bleeding - they put it back in though (obviously) and I'm amazed to have no ill effects from it all. I was quite ill for a while afterwards and I won't even start on the infection I got! Anyway baby was 8 weeks old before my wound healed, but without it I'd have lost her. I'd planned a home birth as I'd had my others very easily. But she was in a mess - had to be delivered by forceps and had the cord around her neck and had to be resucitated as she was completely floppy and lifeless, but here she is 16 months later and so beautiful. Big blue eyes and blonde curly hair - we are so blessed.
How anyone can 'opt' for a section when there's no need I'll never understand!
Sarah x

starrynight Tue 02-Aug-05 14:26:43

"they ended up taking my womb out because they just couldn't stop it bleeding - they put it back in though (obviously) and I'm amazed to have no ill effects from it all"

OMG - that is amazing!

Sarahx2005 Tue 02-Aug-05 15:21:50

Yes starry I know - and remember - I was awake through all of this! It was a little scary to say the least - poor hubby was white! They were giving me lots of different drugs to to make my womb contract which were given to me like an asthma inhaler, it was all very weird. I had the lowest blood count ever afterwards and looked like a ghost - I was on triple dose iron tablets but it didn't take me long to make all that blood back up.
Give me a natural birth any day!
Sarah x

starrynight Tue 02-Aug-05 15:37:07

So, is your uterus back to normal? Can you have more children? It must have been a really traumatic experience for you both. I hope you are Ok about it now - did they find out why that happened?

Sarahx2005 Tue 02-Aug-05 15:43:10

Hi,
Yeah all seems fine now 16 months on. I don't know about more children - I've had 4 so it's not a problem, but I've also had two early miscarraiges (not planned pregs) this year so who knows.
It was traumatic but we are used to that in our family
Thanks for asking Sarah x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now