Talk

Advanced search

FOOD POISENING LEADING TO PREGNANCY

(25 Posts)
Distel Tue 02-Aug-05 08:34:17

Bit of a long story really, I have been joking with my friends for the last two weeks that I feel pregnant, I have gone off alcohol, crying at the most ridiculous things, been feeling sick and tired and to top it all of (which is where the joke started) 2 out of 3 of my children were born in may, so were conceived around this time of year.

My husband is on the waiting list for a vesectomy, so, this is the last few months we could have an accident if I were ever to have another baby.

Last night suddenly woke up with a start remembering that 2 or 3 weeks ago (when I would be ovulating) I ate some 'dodgy' chicken and had Diorreah(sp?) for the afternoon. Didn't occur to me to take any other precautions.

So now am scared I actually am pregnant - all the signs are there. I have 3 under 6 and wasn't planning any more, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Suppose what I need to know is...........is an afternoon of Diorreah enough to stop my pill working. Sorry for waffling, I am a bit stunned.

Toothache Tue 02-Aug-05 08:38:12

Oooo I don't know Distel. I suppose it could. But I think it's unusual for one missed pill to mean you're not covered? I know it says so on the packet, but I don't know if that would be enough to stimulate you to ovulate.

However..... since that was 2 or 3 wks ago........ TEST!

Distel Tue 02-Aug-05 08:41:14

I havn't missed any of my pill though, just had the dioreah (sorry) which I have been told stops the pill working (like being sick)

Not due on untill thursday , is it too early to test?

gscrym Tue 02-Aug-05 08:41:47

I got pregnant whilst on the pill and during a bout of food poisoning. I was taking an antibiotic that the doctor hadn't told med would interfere with the pill.

Fran1 Tue 02-Aug-05 08:41:49

Totally depends on each individuals fertility.

You hear about people getting pregnant whilst on the pill, so could be possible as you had diorreah!

Toothaches right - go test!!

Fran1 Tue 02-Aug-05 08:42:10

Totally depends on each individuals fertility.

You hear about people getting pregnant whilst on the pill, so could be possible as you had diorreah!

Toothaches right - go test!!

Whatever happens was meant to be!

gscrym Tue 02-Aug-05 08:43:50

I got pregnant whilst on the pill and during a bout of food poisoning. I was taking an antibiotic that the doctor hadn't told med would interfere with the pill.

ggglimpopo Tue 02-Aug-05 08:44:58

Message withdrawn

Toothache Tue 02-Aug-05 08:47:53

Distel - I think the reason they say the pill doesn't work when you have sickness/diarrhea is that it can leave your system before enough hormone has been absorbed into your bloodstream.... therefore you effectively have missed that pill.

SoupDragon Tue 02-Aug-05 08:48:02

I think a lot depends on when you effectively "missed" the pill (it may have passed through too quickly to be effective) and I think you missed it at exactly the wrong time unfortunately. You'll need to test.

Distel Tue 02-Aug-05 08:49:48

Thankyou for your quick responses, am going to have a shower, then I think we had better go to the shops .

Toothache Tue 02-Aug-05 08:54:46

Do let us know..... you know how MNer's love a 'testing' thread!!!

Distel Tue 02-Aug-05 10:21:44

Right, am off to buy a test, I would say wish me luck, but I am not sure what I wan't the answer to be. If it is negative I don;t think I will believe it untill AF shows up!!!!

Toothache Tue 02-Aug-05 10:22:22

I'm excited anyway!!!

aloha Tue 02-Aug-05 10:25:39

Very unlikely - one missed pill is not normally enough to restart ovulation, esp in the middle of your cycle which is by far the 'safest' time to miss a pill. Missing one at the start or end of your pill-free week is much more likely to result in ovulation.
A course of antibiotics is different as it is usually week-long and that is long enought to restart ovulation.
So in short, very, very unlikely to have anything to do with the tummy upset, but nothing's impossible when it comes to fertility.
Good luck. Hope you get the result you want.

compo Tue 02-Aug-05 10:26:16

Good luck - hope you get the answer you want! I have to say respect to you for feeling 'up for it' after an afternoon of diarrhea!!!!

Toothache Tue 02-Aug-05 12:30:45

Well????

Louise1980 Tue 02-Aug-05 12:41:12

Distel come!!!

What does it say?

I need to do it tomorrow! Absolutely terrified!!

Distel Tue 02-Aug-05 13:10:57

Well, test said negative, but my period is not due untill thursday or friday so should have waited untill then really. Anyway, it's a BFN for now and roll on friday - then I will definetely know for sure, one way or the other.

Toothache Tue 02-Aug-05 13:11:54

PHEW! Was bursting to know!!!!

Distel Tue 02-Aug-05 13:12:29

Well you certainly responded quickly .

Toothache Tue 02-Aug-05 13:13:22

57 secs... not bad. If I'd been at home that would've been 5 minutes!

piffle Tue 02-Aug-05 13:16:18

yes...
That is exactly how I conceived ds all those years ago.
TesT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toothache Tue 02-Aug-05 13:17:10

She did Piffle - And it was a BFN.... but she's not due AF for another 2 days.

Distel Wed 03-Aug-05 09:35:55

Af arrived this morning so definetely NOT pregnant PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More annoyed with myself for spending £10 on a test.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now