Talk

Advanced search

Anyone conceived whilst their partner is on citalopram?

(6 Posts)
brownrabbit Tue 04-May-10 17:54:46

Hi there

I've seen lots of posts here about women taking citalopram, but none about the men... My husband took citalopram for about 6 months last year, but stopped because we were ttc and had read that it might affect this. We got pregnant, and he started taking it again because his depression had returned. Unfortunately I then miscarried, and now we're ttc again, but I'm worried that it will be affected by the meds. And he's worried that the meds might in some way have caused the miscarriage.

In a bit of a tricky position - he's much better when taking the meds, but I'm miserable because of the miscarriage / not getting pregnant. Has anyone successfully conceived and carried the pregnancy whilst their partner's on anti-depressants?

Thanks!

AmberTheHappyLuddite Wed 05-May-10 21:15:25

I'm sorry I have no advice, but I'm bumping this as I'm in a similar situation.

brownrabbit Thu 06-May-10 08:17:51

Thanks Amber - maybe we're on our own here!Anyone else...??

ihearttc Thu 06-May-10 12:45:08

My DH is on citalopram and has been for about 2 years. Ive got a 5 year old DS who was conceived when he wasn't taking it and we're now ttc number 2...without much luck at the moment.

I didn't even know it could affect fertility-Im on AD's as well (we're a right pair aren't we!?) but Im taking dosulpien which is apparently one of the safest ones you can take when ttc and pregnant I think simply because its such an old AD that its been tested more.

DH has a very stressful job and is absolutely unbearable without them so there is no way at the moment we could try without. He actually got stuck in Dubai for an extra week with all the volcanoe stuff and obviously didn't have enough tablets with him and he was awful when he got back. 2 weeks on and he's back to normal again!

Im so so sorry about your mc x

brownrabbit Fri 07-May-10 11:26:46

Hi ihearttc, thanks for your msg. I'm not sure that there's any conclusive evidence about citalopram and fertility, but we found some studies which showed it affected sperm morphology. The doctor didn't know anything about this, and I don't know whether it's anything to worry about or not. First time round they also really affected his sex drive and ability to ejaculate (sorry - tmi!) but that seems a bit better this time.

I tried to get DH to hold off going back on them until I'd had a 12-week scan, but he was a bit of a mess really and needed to start taking them again. I miscarried a week after he started back on them, so it feels like really bad timing! On the other hand, obviously I'd much rather that he was happy.

Good luck with number 2 - sounds like you've got quite a lot to deal with at the moment, so hope it all works out! x

user1466632763 Wed 10-Aug-16 08:24:28

Hi there

Sorry I know this is an old post but I'm in completely the same position as yourself.

Would love to know how you got on?

Did he have to come off the meds and if so for how long?

Hope everything worked out.

I've had two miscarriages this year xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now