Talk

Advanced search

Right we are going to go for it! Any tips on conceiving boys!

(18 Posts)
lovecloud Sun 31-Jul-05 16:08:53

Dh and I are going to go for it this month!

We have a little dd and I am really not bothered if I have another girl or boy but for a bit of fun we thought we will try and see if we can make a boy, so whats the ingrediants?

Do we have to conceive on the exact day of ovulation so 14 days from the first day of period? Is the first day of your period day one and the fourteenth "the day"? Does sperm live up to 3 days in your womb? So should we really start two days before the 14th day to increase the chances of a boy?

Any other tips? If I am lucky enough to fall pregnant, all I want is a healthy and happy baby so sex does not matter but our first was a surprise and I am quite excited that our second will be planned so we thought we would make it more fun.

lilibet Sun 31-Jul-05 16:12:16

There are quite a few threads on this but I remember that for a boy you go for a potassium rich diet - so eat plenty bananas!

SenoraPostrophe Sun 31-Jul-05 16:13:21

lovecloud - the ingredients are:

slugs and snails. and puppy dog's tails.

alright, you have the logic, but it's the other way round: you need to bd ON the day of ovulation or up to 3 days after. Boy sperm doesn't last as long as girl sperm.

lovecloud Sun 31-Jul-05 16:16:34

whats bd?

thanks senora!

SenoraPostrophe Sun 31-Jul-05 16:17:10

bd= baby dance. or have sex if you prfer

lovecloud Sun 31-Jul-05 16:18:32

ahhhhhhhhhhh - i see

its exciting!

i just hope this is not the beginning of a long journey.

emmatmg Sun 31-Jul-05 16:50:58

I ovulate between days 11 to 16 or there abouts and we BD on these days when TTC (I didn't now we were TTC with DS3 but dh changed his mind just at the right time).

Senora has it exactly right.....I have 3 boys!

lovecloud Sun 31-Jul-05 18:36:46

Hello
my cycle seems to be 29/30 days (just checking is that the number of days from the first day of my period to the first day of my next period?)

So how do i work out my exact ovualtion date, you say 11-16, how do you know this?

thanks

PeachyClair Sun 31-Jul-05 18:46:44

Apparently sex on day of ovulation results in a boy, probably rot but worked for me three times!!

lovecloud Sun 31-Jul-05 18:49:25

Actually was doing it wrong, just looked at some website, so my cycle is 28 days which is the average cycle and this means I am most fertile from the 10th - 14th August so for a boy I guess I should get on down the 12/13th and for a few days after, is this right?

Ameriscot2005 Sun 31-Jul-05 18:49:34

Conceive on the day of ovulation - fresh sperm - this method gave us two boys. Old sperm gave us three girls.

BTW, ovulation is 14 days before your next period, in case you do not have 28 day cycles.

spidermama Sun 31-Jul-05 18:50:35

I heard that sperm with the male chromosome swim faster, but have less stamina so stop earlier. If this is true you should have sex towards the end of your ovulation window. Iyswim.

lovecloud Sun 31-Jul-05 18:50:42

hi i thought the general rule was 14 days after the first day of your period but your saying 14 days before your period?

Twiglett Sun 31-Jul-05 18:51:06

I am going to keep this in my copy and paste file so I can just keep pasting it

ovulation is not 14 days from the first day of period, it is also not 14 days before the start of your next period .. the 14 days is a statistical average and how many of us are truly average?? I for one used to ovulate on day 23 of a fairly regular 28 to 30 day cycle

the only way to tell when you will ovulate is by using either OPKs or charting (see www.fertilityfriend.com or toni weschler's book 'taking charge of your fertility)

you could chart your cycle for 3 months and then if very regular guess when you will ovulate the next month

HTH .. oh and yes sex on day of ovulation supposedly

spidermama Sun 31-Jul-05 18:51:18

This theory didn't work for me. I have girl and three boys. I was trying for another girl.

emmatmg Sun 31-Jul-05 19:19:38

I know how the boy theory waorks but I just can't get my head around the girl one.

it's during ovulation for a boy.

so is it after or before for a girl?

lovecloud Sun 31-Jul-05 19:29:30

Right thanks Twiglett - checked that website out... graphs and everything, dont think i want to get that obsesses by it, would probably take the fun and sexiness out of it all

but i picked up what i need.

i think i know what i need to do now so i'll keep you posted

x

Ameriscot2005 Sun 31-Jul-05 19:33:54

It's BD before ovulation for a girl. Sperm lives for 3 days, so that's the window before ovulation. After ovulation, the egg dies very quickly so you only have a 12 hour window.

The boy/girl theory says new sperm for a boy and old sperm for a girl. That means that BD around the time of ovulation means that the egg is getting fresh sperm, with the belief that male sperm swim faster than female sperm. BD before ovulation, with male sperm dying before female sperm means that the sperm that reaches the newly produced egg are more likely to be female.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now