When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.
TTC - How long did it take you?(26 Posts)
I think I am pregnant every month and then BFN, this time I was convinced I was as I had all the symptoms plus a big tummy but I guess I need to accept I am not as all the tests say so...
So dh and I really now finally and for the first time ever want to try and conceive... I know here it can get tricky... from now on everytime we make love I will be thinking "Come sperm, get top the egg"...
Can you answer the following for me:
1. How do you not think the above whilst making love and trying for a baby and managing to orgasm - I heard this increases the chance of conception.
2. How long did it take to make your baby
3. Any tips
4. Anything else you have to add
dd1,l no idea was pissed most weekends lol. dd2 once. dd3 took 4months.
can't be much help as DS was unplanned, sorry!
only think i will attempt to add (but not from personal experience) is probably better to have lots sex (think every 2nd day) is what they recommend, rather than get too hung up on charting/temp/sex when ovving. and I spose the usual eat healthy etc etc to improve chances.
1. not answering - too personal
2. ds first shot, lost baby 3m, dd - 3/4m sort of lost count a bit due to m/c
3. use opks
4. nope, that's it, try to relax and enjoy, but use the opks that's what they're for!
1. er, no idea. Except I think it's scientific fact that when women have more "intense" or "vivid" sexual experiences they are more likely to conceive; this is why rape victims have a higher conception rate than expected. Which is a really nasty side affect of a horrendous experience. But plenty of babies have come about from boring sex, too.
2. 2 unplanned babies, the other one took a whole 6 weeks of ttc.
3. eat a good diet...relax & don't worry about it.
I took folic acid and put DH on zinc.
I worked out when I would be the most fertile and then grabbed DH.
Both ds1 and ds2 were conceived first time which were miracles as I have PCOS and thought I couldnt have children.
Dont think about conceiving.....try and relax and I am sure one day will be your day.
Do you have any children already? How long have you been TTC?
After babydancing (!) I stuck my legs up on the wall for gravity etc!!
I have a dd, she was a surprise and this time I would love another surprise but thats not possible now as I really really really really really want another baby
Legs up the wall for me too!
I started taking vit B6 as well.
Putting your legs up against the wall after intercourse is a myth and you do not have to do this. Enough sperm will reach the cervix from where they do not escape.
If your periods are irregular and/or very painful seek medical advice asap and do not be fobbed off!!!. If you have been ttc for nearly a year now would suggest you seek advice now.
Ovulation predictor kits should not be used if your periods are irregular. Apart from anything else they are expensive to boot!.
Do not think about timing of intercourse - is a very bad idea and just causes more stress for you as a couple. Make love when you both feel like it. Two or three times a week throughout the month is fine.
Taking folic acid is a good idea. Zinc supplements for your man may be helpful too. Not drinking to excess or smoking at all is also beneficial.
I tried for 4 yrs before we fell pg.
After sex I used to out a cussion under my butt with my legs in the air(a midwifes instructions)
Co-incidence or not
I was pg that month
1) er last cycle be I got PG I had an early m/c and we honestly weren't trying as mainly I couldn't bear DH to touch me, anyhow the Dr who finale was on and well i'm a sucker for CE at the minute so on that occassion I was like a mad woman and jumped on DH, we only BD 2 more times after thaht cycle as well, and I can honestly say it was the first month in 13/14 months we'd been trying I didn't think this is the one iycwim. I just relaxed and went with it and then they day after I thought OMG if I am I can't handle another M/C, anyhow that's how I managed it this time, so lie back and fantasize! lol.
2) we'd been trying for 13/14 months ish (my cycles are 26 days long so fairly short) DH was away for 6 months after the first 5 months then we got PG more or less straight awway upon his return - think it helped he was away as I relaxed about the whole issue and was only after sex from him not the baby bit (ok well for the first couple of BD was only sex!)
3) BD with bum on a pillow putting ur bum on it after/legs on the wall don't work for the reson the sperm's already where it needs to be according to my DH anyways, and as the sperm need to 'get off the bus' a few stops further down the line do it on a pillow and let gravity work!
4) in the 2 ww I was completely relaxed - mainly cos we were't trying but went out got v v drunk with a mate, ate raw cake mix witht eh eggs, had soft eggs all the way thru did everything I wasn't ment to didn't even take my folic acid I was that down with it all.
hope things happen for you soon honney.
ooh yes lso used persona which helped to pin point my fertile days, a lot of ppl temp and use fertility friend.
I am currently TTC for #2 and we are now on month 12.
DD took a while to concieve also. We TTC for 15 months, got pg and then had a mc at 7 weeks. We then TTC for anouer 14/15 months before concieving DD.
No tips sadly; we don't appear to be very adept at this TTC marlarky in our house!
I was TTC for 14 months before succeeding. I think I tried everything: grapefruit juice, starflower oil, cough syrup Still not sure what helped and what didn't, but am sure that it is a mistake to feel that making a baby is like baking a cake - if you just put all the right bits of the recipe in, it is bound to work. The whole business is far more mysterious (and therefore frustrating) than that.
Still, it is bound to help if you:
- understand your cycle and your peak opportunities for getting pregnant (read Toni Weschler's 'Taking charge of your fertility')
- get enough sex - definitely when you ovulate, but also through the month. Robert Winston recommends every two days throughout your cycle.
- eat and drink sensible, make sure you're not too under- or overweight, quit smoking, cut back on alcohol and caffeine (and get dp to do likewise)
You don't say how long you've been trying, but it may be worth asking your doctor about some initial tests to check out everything's ok.
With DS i caught first month
with missed mc it took 8mths to concieve. This baby it took 3mths following missed mc.
1. I just try to enjoy the experience for what it is rather than stressing about will this time work.
2. its above
3. With the last month for this baby I used digi opks and also did the deed at least once a day over 2 weeks and twice a day for 3 days around positive opk result. Then the whole legs in the air thing afterwards
4. I think trying not to get soo worked up about the whole ttc thing helps...extremely difficult i know but the obsession can make it more a chore so you dont enjoy it and can cause arguements in the menfolk feeling used.
Good luck lovecloud. I'm now 4 mths pg and it took us 1 yr before I first got pg which ended in a m/c then another yr to get pg again. It all got a bit mechanical by the end but dh was lovely about performing on demand + in some ways it was nice to just have a quickie with no pressure to aim for mind-blowing sex. I found the most invaluable things to be charting on fertility friend followed and ovulation tests. I also put dh on zinc + vitamin C + insisted that he stop taking hot baths every morning. I think the most important thing to remember is - make sure you have lots of sex and don't stop until you're sure you've ovulated.
Haven't read whole thread, but I also did the cushion under bum thing after sex and think it may have helped. I got pg with dd1 in the first month of trying. Got pg with dd2 within 2 months of trying (even though I was still breastfeeding and only ever had one period after dd1 was born.)
with dd it took 7 months, that month we did it every single day at 7 pm (before we got too tired) lol.
with ds it took 2 months and we did it a lot around the time of ovulation as deemed by babycentre.co.uk ovulation predictor thingy.
I did the cushion bit and legs in the air!!
Also after two months did the temperature checks each morning and found out I was ovulating a couple of days earlier. The 2nd month after this got preg.
We are hoping to be trying again in a few months so hoping it will work again, although temp testing has to be done before you get out of bed and with a 1 yr old could be difficult!
Good Luck, keeping fingers crossed for you.
we got in the mindset that if it happened it happened that way we both really enjoyed the sex and it didn't take very long at all
2. Second month of trying but only did it once that month.
3. Just relax, we were in no hurry to get pregnant which I am sure led us to get pregnant so quickly. Also have a weekend away, our ds was conceived whilst on a pre christmas weekend to windermere.
It took me nearly 4 years to conceive. Tried ovulation kits - very expensive waste of time and saw a gynaecologist who advised daily sex which needless to say we never achieved. I tried to predict when I'd be midcycle & book holidays for then and did conceive on holiday, also had reflexology.
It's probably worth both of you cutting down on booze as that's supposed to help.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.