Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Am I Pregnant?? Is it possible?

(28 Posts)
mula Tue 19-Jul-05 09:32:57

I've been lurking for a few months and have only now found the courage to post. We have been ttc for 16 months - me 31, DH 31, first timers. Doctor has referred us for tests, i had my blood tests last Thursday to check ovulation etc., DH due to have his sperm analysis on Monday. Not due AF until tomorrow (going on a 28 day cycle which can vary to 30-31 days). I bought some early tests on e-bay which were delivered yesterday so decided to do a test. Wasn't sure yesterday morning if there was a line or not as it was very faint, however when i looked a few hours later (i know i shouldn't have) there was a definite faint line. Did another test this morning and again a very, very, very faint line. I don't feel any different other than the fact that i don't have any breast pain which i usually have pretty badly around this time. Does anybody think i might be, the line was so faint and could only be seen if i held it up against the light so maybe i just imagined this. What do you think?

desperatehousewife Tue 19-Jul-05 09:36:23

it's very possible that you are. With my first pregnancy the line was so faint that I ended up doing 4 tests!

If I were you, I'd wait until tomorrow or the next day if you can, do the test in the morning when the hormone will be at it's strongest if you are preg, and see what happens.

Good luck

pinkmama Tue 19-Jul-05 09:37:32

Hello Mula and welcome to Mumsnet!

From what I understand you cant get a false positive, so if you get any line, even a faint one then it is a positive. I am currently 38 weeks pregnant, and this time when I did a test at 28 days it was negative, I did another at 30 days and got a very faint line which like you, I suspected I was imagining. I did another at 33 days and it was still faint but there.

Best of luck to you, let us know! I have my fingers crossed!

vicdubya Tue 19-Jul-05 09:45:16

Hi Mula

The tests you get over the internet are not very good imo. Not that they would give a false negative, just they aren't as sensitive.

To be sure I would go & get a 2 pack of clearblue, wait 24 hours, if AF doesn't show, test with those, 24 hours apart.

HTH

mula Tue 19-Jul-05 09:55:33

Thanks for all your replies. I'm not getting my hopes up as i haven't had any breast pain whatsoever, no tingling, nothing. In fact, i don't have any symptoms at all, other than the feeling that AF is going to appear at any minute.

pinkmama Tue 19-Jul-05 10:12:57

Mula, just wanted to back up what vicdubya said about cheap tests. The firsts ones I used which were really really faint line were all cheap tests. It wasnt until I bought a clearblue test that the result came in with no room for any doubt.

hester Tue 19-Jul-05 10:18:05

Mula, it sounds very likely . It's also really normal not to have any other symptoms at this stage.

the best pg tests I've used (and I went through enough) were Medisave (available through internet) and Boots own brand. But I reckon if you test again tomorrow, with whatever test you like, you'll probably get your answer.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

mula Wed 20-Jul-05 08:54:30

Used the Clearblue Digital this morning. BFP!!

lockets Wed 20-Jul-05 08:56:05

Message withdrawn

BarefootMama Wed 20-Jul-05 08:58:28

i think one faint line a bit iffy but two looks pretty hopeful!!!! Go and buy clearblue digital then its unequivocal. Mine showed up 3 or four days early! Fingers crossed!

lockets Wed 20-Jul-05 08:59:20

Message withdrawn

Carla Wed 20-Jul-05 08:59:48

What's BFP? Anyhow, it sounds good news, so CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

BarefootMama Wed 20-Jul-05 09:00:48

Silly me lockets!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nemo1977 Wed 20-Jul-05 09:01:34

congrates mula

Littlefish Wed 20-Jul-05 09:05:08

Congrats Mula! What wonderful news, particulary as you were just about to start investigations!

We had been ttc for 2.5 years and were due to start IVF the following month when I got a positive on a Clearblue digital! I still didn't believe it and ended up doing 15, YES, 15 pregnancy tests over the next few days!!!!!!! I should have taken out shares in Clearblue

munz Wed 20-Jul-05 09:21:20

ooh big congrats mula - that puts u in the march bunch as well!

mula Wed 20-Jul-05 09:49:02

Thanks everyone, just trying to take it all in now. Very nervous as sis and SIL have both had miscarriages in the last few weeks so that's playing on my mind a bit. I'm wondering what i shoulod do now, do i see the doctor straight away or wait for a bit. Don't know what to do as we're both so shocked.

Twiglett Wed 20-Jul-05 09:52:20

oo congratulations ..

take time to take it in although it will probably stay surreal until 3 months after baby is born

I assume you are taking your pre-natal folic acid

GP won't really do anything (no tests or anything) just refer you to midwife in a few weeks

mula Wed 20-Jul-05 10:03:48

Thanks Twiglett, yes taking the Folic Acid since last year. Still feels like AF is about to start at any minute have bad tummy pains, is this normal?

Twiglett Wed 20-Jul-05 10:05:20

oh yes in terms of feeling extra pre-menstrual .. I would assume the tummy pains are due to the excitement / shock / psychosomatic

desperatehousewife Wed 20-Jul-05 10:42:24

congrats! I had what I thought was the mother of all PMT, but turned out I was preg!

Stay cool, phone doc and ask when they want to see you. And come and join us on the due march thread!

Tabs Wed 20-Jul-05 10:58:03

Congratulations Mula . Understand your nervousness as miscarriages are sadly too common. However, around 5 in 6 pregnancies end in a baby and not a m/c, so you need to stay positive!!

Carla - BFP is Big Fat Positive!

Nemo1977 Wed 20-Jul-05 11:00:27

mula wiht this pregnancy i had terrible stomach cramps until about 11wks so constantly thought something was goign to happen. Am now nearly 19wks

liandme Wed 20-Jul-05 11:18:31

i brought some tests on ebay and on the instructions it says
how long will my result remain?
A posssitive result is likely to remain unchanged, however the backgroung may become darker. on the other hand with a negative result a very faint line may appear in the test wndow after 10 minutes. this colour deposit showing after ten minutes is not a positive result. REMEMBER do not interpret the result after ten minutes.

i hope this helps

pinkmama Wed 20-Jul-05 11:25:10

Thats wonderful Mula. I also had period type pains with all of my pregnancies, I think its quite common in the early weeks. Good luck, I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: