Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where do periods come in relation to ovulation, and should you get them on depo?

(9 Posts)
lunavix Thu 14-Jul-05 13:09:48

Have had depo injection 3 times (I think) I was due another yesterday but we're ttc so obviously didn't go

I want to use persona to predict fertile days etc, but know I have to wait till I have a period or two first. In the meantime though, we'd like to try for a girl, which is before you ovulate.. when's this in relation to a period?

Plus I've now heard you aren't meant to get periods when you are on depo but I've had a small one now and then, and have started (lightly) 2 days ago (even though depo was due after it started) does this count?

Twiglett Thu 14-Jul-05 13:12:24

can't help on the depo

but supposedly to maximise chances of a girl its supposed to be about 3 days before ovulation .. and you can't tell when you are going to ovulate by the date of your period unfortunately as women and cycles are very different (the oft quoted "you ovulate 14 days before your period" is total and utter baloney . .its an average so could be 10 days or 20 .. who knows?)

lunavix Thu 14-Jul-05 13:13:59

So it's closer to after your period then before?

I want to start using the persona to make life easier, but if I start now it could go bums up!

We're not seriously trying for a girl, we'd like one next, but would love a boy equally!

Twiglett Thu 14-Jul-05 13:17:41

NO

you can't know .. unless you chart for say 3 months and pinpoint your ovulation and its completely regular then you could take a pretty good guess that it might be the same next cycle

I used to ovulate day 22 of a 28 - 30 day cycle (I wouldn't have conceived without taking clomid to lengthen the time between ovulation and next period to minimum 10 days)

lunavix Thu 14-Jul-05 13:18:53

I'm confused... guess dh will just be getting tons of sex then!

munz Thu 14-Jul-05 13:24:45

i've used persona and think it's fab, I OV beteen CD12-14 (no idea why it varies so much but it did) anyhow persona was great for taking the stress out of everything

gailey Thu 14-Jul-05 14:37:27

I used Depo, and had slight bleed 2 days after my inj was due, i then did not have a period until 3 months after, my periods are regular now (29 days), but i have been charting for 4 months and am still not ovulating,hopefully this month i will ovulate. i have read that you should ovulate around 12 - 16 days before your period, and that if you want a girl you should be ttc up to 2 days before oulation.
hope this helps.

homemama Thu 14-Jul-05 19:15:31

Lunavix, it took me 18mths to OV after coming off depo- think it takes average 8mths so don't be upset if it takes a while.
Good luck!

purpleturtle Thu 14-Jul-05 19:22:33

I don't think you're 'not supposed' to have periods on Depo, but that it's very common for periods to stop while you're on Depo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now