Talk

Advanced search

False positive?

(8 Posts)
Bibiboo Mon 04-Jul-05 10:18:46

Can you have a false positive pregnancy test? I am 3 days late and tested yesterday and had a faint pink line but I don't feel very pregnant. I knew before my period was late with dd, my boobs felt like they were filled with boiling water, I was stroppy and I just felt different. I have no symptoms this time. At all. I would be happy if I was, we've been contemplating another baby for a few months anyway, i just don't want to get my hopes up!

Thanks,

alexsmum Mon 04-Jul-05 10:20:35

no i don't think you can get a false positive-a line is a line is a line!!!!! every pregnancy is different remember! congrats!!!!!!!!

Spoo Mon 04-Jul-05 10:40:49

You cannot get a false positive as the hormone that makes the line appear is only in pregnant ladies - Congrats!!

Bibiboo Mon 04-Jul-05 10:42:19

oh my giddy aunt! really?

throckenholt Mon 04-Jul-05 10:47:01

I don't think you get false positives (unless you have a very early miscarriage at just about the time you test - although that wouldn't be false, just not productive).

Congratulations.

Nemo1977 Mon 04-Jul-05 10:49:37

you cant get a false positive if the line is within 10min but if its not then it could be an evaporation line..not likely if u read it straight away

Diddle Mon 04-Jul-05 17:49:48

Apparently you can get a false positive, one of us on the ttc after a m/c thread has had one this week. This is what she has told us:

If you use a very sensitive pregnancy test, where you test before the day your period is due, you could catch an early pregnancy but end up going on to have your period anyway due to a very early miscarriage. Some women will find it very hard to deal with this sort of emotional rollercoaster.or

False positive results can occur if pituitary gonadotrophin levels are elevated in the urine, for example, in older women when ovulation is failing and the pituitary excretes more gonadotrophins to stimulate the failing ovary. Haematuria, alkaline urine and vaginal discharge can also affect the test, but these false positives are decreasing with improved specificity of assays.

That doesn't mean that you're not though, if you do another test and its still a BFP then you're pregnant and congratulations. just thought i should let you know.

SoupDragon Mon 04-Jul-05 18:00:18

You can definitely get one followed by a very early miscarriage as I had this the month before conceiving DS2. Although, technically, this isn't a false positive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now