Talk

Advanced search

Malaria pills(Malarone) & pre pregnant

(8 Posts)
mictad Wed 11-Nov-09 14:36:53

My partner and I would like to start getting pregnant shortly after a trip to Thailand and Cambodia in which we will be taking Malarone for about 22 days.

How long should we wait to ensure the drug will be absent from both our systems so as to not have a negative affect on the pregnancy?

I already have to postpone my plan getting pregnant in the trip as research say not to use Malarone at pregnancy at all…I don't know what to do and if it would affect pregnant in the future.

Me

ImmaterialGirl Wed 11-Nov-09 14:45:32

Hi,

Malarone is luckily one of the less problematic anti-Malarials.

Although you should avoid conceiving while taking it, it leaves your system after only two weeks.

From the NHS website on malaria pills and conception:
Women who have received chemoprophylaxis and who have returned from an area endemic with malaria are advised to wait for the following times before attempting conception:

* Mefloquine — 3 months.
* Malarone® — 2 weeks.
* Doxycycline — 1 week.

hth

mictad Wed 11-Nov-09 15:25:31

Dear ImmaterialGirl,

Thank you for your answer.

Thailand and Cambodia areas require taking one of the two Malaria pills: Malarone® or Doxycycline. As Doxycycline is more problematic with a lot of side affect and it would be require taking it for longer time after (4 weeks) I choose Malarone, otherwise it will make me postponed my plans…
The problem with Malarone that no website knew how long I should wait until…

Again, thank you very much.

Me

ImmaterialGirl Wed 11-Nov-09 15:43:27

No problems!

The website I got it from is found here if you want to have a read yourself.

I took Doxycycline myself the last time I traveled in a malaria area, but it's true that you need to take it for a month before and after, which is annoying.

I'm sure you've done all the research already, but be aware that Malarone can give you weird dreams and should be taken with caution if you have a family history of depression/mental health issues.

Hope you have a good trip!!

givecarrotsachance Wed 11-Nov-09 16:57:46

Isn't that Larium? I am not sure Malarone has those side effects.

Makes me shit for England, though.

ImmaterialGirl Wed 11-Nov-09 19:11:12

Hmm... Did a bit of googling and I bow to the superior wisdom of carrots

It appears I am right about the weird dreams but the depression risk is indeed related to Larium (mefloquine). Got the two mixed up...

givecarrotsachance Thu 12-Nov-09 07:46:02

Malarone DOES have some pretty strong side effects but provided it's a suitable anti-mal for the region you're going into, it's (IMO) the best and safest. I've not had any problems other than my stomach (and DH had the same problems too) but when we use it we also take Mebeverine which is as an anti-spasmodic drug. I am quite sure that neither are great for pregnancy but going back to your question, I've no idea how long it takes to get out of your system. It's been about 2 month since I was last in Africa and needed it and we're TTC now.

mictad Thu 12-Nov-09 16:24:09

I went to the Pharmacy today to advise by the Pharmacist that it would be good to wait 4 weeks until the drag (Malarone or Doxycycline) will go out of my system and than start to conceive.

Again the quick different as I know between the two drags (and I am not an expert):

Malarone – less side affects, need to be take 2 days before and 7 days after you leave the area.

Regarding weird dreams and should be taken with caution if you have a family history of depression/mental health issues that is right (thanks I don't have it in my family) and the pharmacist recommend to take it with food and a lot of water.

Doxycycline – more side affects, need to be take week or two before and 4 weeks after you leave the area.

So, better to postponed TTC when you take Malaria pill as it not safe at all and to let the drag go out of the system for 4 weeks. And than start to have fun!

Me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now