Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with suggestions/similar experience?

(10 Posts)
Fran1 Fri 17-Jun-05 21:55:59

I came off depo in December, and have had no periods since.

Recently went to doc, because since i had dd 2.5 years ago, my weight is increasing rapidly, i cannot stop sweating, got v spotty and have no periods since depo in Dec. At first i thought depo could be to blame, but thought it could be something else so checked with doc.

Had blood tests for thyroid and diabetes they are all clear. Negative pg test. BUT the doc told me on the phone today some of my hormone levels are low (don't know which) and he said "would you like to take some tablets, i'll leave you a prescription".
Now cos i was at work at the time i didn't probe any further. i think i'm going to speak to a nurse at the surgery for advice, but thought some of you mumsnetters may be more experienced

Firstly, i feel my hormone levels would be low due to the depo not being out of system and this can take up to (or longer) than a year anyway. So am i messing with my body to start taking tablets to reverse this? I am desperate for another baby so part of me thinks yeah do anything to get period back, but dp pointed out it could be the wrong thing to do.

Secondly, hormone levels does not answer my weight and sweating problem. I am not joking sweating is bad, no matter what the weather i can suddenly just start sweating all over my body. (yes this has made me wonder about early menopause so may ask doc again) i'm only 27. What else can weight, sweating, spots and no periods be linked to?

Sorry for long post. Be glad to hear replies.

Fran1 Fri 17-Jun-05 22:34:48

Sorry to bump but bump!

hunkermunker Fri 17-Jun-05 22:40:13

Sounds like there's a possibility you could have polycystic ovarian syndrome.

I have this and conceived DS on my first cycle of Clomid (I wasn't ovulating, Clomid stimulates your follicles to produce eggs as far as I understand it!). Have now just fallen pg naturally too.

It's fairly easy to diagnose.

trace2 Fri 17-Jun-05 22:42:28

i had last depo in jan not had a period since too, also sweating, spots and lots of extra weight. doc did all same test as you all clear, then went in a web site about depo and it say your body thinks you are going into menopause, thats why it takes such a long time to get out of your system. Dont know about you but always tied too.

Fran1 Fri 17-Jun-05 23:21:26

Thanks you two.

Hunkermunker is sweating a symptom of PCOS? I might ask doc to check for this also.

trace2 interesting you have same as me, i too have searched on net about depo, but not found that about menopause before, but certainly makes sense doesn't it!

So next thing to do is rule out PCOS, and then decision as to whether to take these tablets the doc is offering me. I'll go pick up prescription on Mon and google the name of them to see what risks entail.

hunkermunker Fri 17-Jun-05 23:22:07

Not sure Fran1 - but if you've gained weight, the weather might make you feel hotter than usual iyswim?

Fran1 Fri 17-Jun-05 23:24:19

Its not a recent thing though hunkermunker. I've noticed it eversince i had dd who is now 2.5 At first i thought it was a getting over pg thing, but this is getting silly now!

Moomin Sat 18-Jun-05 09:41:45

Poor you! It took me just over a year to get my periods back after depo and I had menopause symptoms and pregnancy symptoms at different stages all that year - nice! Hormones will have a big effect on some women and that includes making you sweat, weight fluctuations, etc. I'd avoid taking anything else on top of this for a quick-fix. I'd actually give it at least a year, like you said, before you take things a bit further.

homemama Mon 20-Jun-05 09:31:16

Fran1, it was 18mths before I had a period after depo. I didn't have the sweating but I did gain weight, was extremely tired and lost my sex drive and the ability to make it comfortable IYKWIM.
However, when AF arrived, started TTC and caught that first month.
My SIL has just come off because her Dr's practice has said that they are encouraging women off it due to the side effects.
I wouldn't take the tablets because if they are hormone tabs then there must be side effects associated with them too. Just let it clear out your system. Good luck

pinklilith Mon 27-Jun-05 17:23:36

wow, my periods came back ok, but then I bled the whole 6 months I was on depo apart from about 3 weeks, 1 near the beginning and about 10 days when they gave me a pill to stop the bleeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now