Talk

Advanced search

How much exercise do you you do per week?

(7 Posts)
pointsmakeprizes Mon 09-Nov-09 00:06:18

I've been exercising quite regularly since the summer, I would probably do about 8-9 classes a week - intensive stuff like spin, bodycombat, pump, etc. Do you think that is too much and affecting my chances? I have read articles that extreme exercise does affect fertility but am not sure what extreme exercise actually constitutes. I don't want to go to less classes as i do find that its great for relieving stress and I really enjoy it and of course stops me thinking about ttc when I am in the classes, but of course will cut down if its stopping us conceiving.

FWIW I did absolutely no exercise when ttc DS and that took us a year.

Ozziegirly Mon 09-Nov-09 03:39:48

There is some suggestion that extreme exercising can hamper fertility, but I think they are talking period stopping levels rather than just hitting the gym once a day.

There is a suggestion that excess excercise can also make you more run down and therefore your body not want to get pregnant as it is concentrating on keeping you healthy.

But I have taken the view that if it makes you feel good, then it's probably ok - after all, our cave dwelling ancestors probably did a lot more exercise than we do.

I think the key issue is that if your exercise is to the extent that your body is not ovulating, then that would be the issue affecting fertility. If you are ovulating then it's probably ok.

But I'm not a Dr!

pointsmakeprizes Mon 09-Nov-09 08:08:31

Thanks Ozzie, it was worrying to read about exercising decreasing IVF rates as well though we are not at that stage. Interesting to hear about the 'run down' theory - i do find myself more tired in the evenings though I could just eat more to combat that!

skihorse Mon 09-Nov-09 08:36:15

The day I conceived I'd done a step and a balance class and did 2 pump classes over the next few days.

Ozziegirly Mon 09-Nov-09 10:28:33

I reckon you just have to listen to your body. If exercise makes you feel energetic and generally good, then it's probably fine. If you feel exhausted and get colds and the like, maybe ease off a bit.

randomimposter Mon 09-Nov-09 11:03:54

sorry, what's exercise...?

sparechange Mon 09-Nov-09 14:39:13

I can only comment anecdotally, but I have 3 friends who are personal trainers/gym instructors and they all got and stayed pregnant easily.

I had read in another thread on here that you should do 'bouncy' exercise because it hinders implantation, but I've not seen it in any books so I don't know how valid that is...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now