Talk

Advanced search

Quite possible THE stupidest question I will ask....I need a wise MNer....

(13 Posts)
PlantASeedWatchItGrow Sun 08-Nov-09 13:36:27

But I need to know!

Now, I might be being really silly here, but we are TTC and if we did conceive but carried on having sex, is there a possibility that the next time the semen could 'wash' the embryo out before it had implanted? (inbetween fertilisation and implantation?)

Is that really silly blush, or is there a reason why it could not happen?

I have to go out, but really hope I get some replies!

Thanks in advance grin

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 08-Nov-09 13:49:27

The short answer to that question is no.

BTW no question asked on here is silly so please put that thought away from your mind.

bluecheesedip Sun 08-Nov-09 14:10:19

No smile

PlantASeedWatchItGrow Sun 08-Nov-09 14:12:14

Thanks! grin

It has been bothering me for a while! blush

But why not? Is it because it is only the sperm that get through? hmm

ToffeeMuser Sun 08-Nov-09 14:18:46

Sort of. The semen doesn't go shooting up into your womb, that's why it's hard to get pregnant! The sperm have to swim their way through the cervix and try to make it. It's not that easy for them.

Basically, your body is designed to stop things like that happening. If you think about it, before we could POAS people wouldn't know they were pregnant for a while. If it was that easy for the embryo to get washed out we'd never have any babies!

Woollymummy Sun 08-Nov-09 14:40:50

no, egg only able to accept one sperm out of millions that start (though most dont get through maze of cervical mucus etc.)

and if you have conceived then hormonal control of your body by the developing embryo stops any further egg release, so you cannot get pregnant again whilst the first pregnancy is under way.

any semen and unsuccessful sperm may well encounter the ball of dividing cells made from a successful egg and sperm, but they cannot stop or slow down development, if anything they might aid it as there is a lot of sugar in sperm which might supply the ball of cells with energy (though they may get all their nutrients for a while from the large egg cell, not too sure about that).

Keep wriggling, good luck (by the way, legs in the air or hug them to your chest after sex, to help gravity do its job, and the more orgasms the better!)

Wx

Woollymummy Sun 08-Nov-09 14:42:31

sorry, sugar in semen, not in sperm. and semen can't get past the cervix anyway! must stop waffling,Wx

PlantASeedWatchItGrow Sun 08-Nov-09 15:58:42

Thanks Toffee and Woolly

I did do the legs up in the air, but then me and DP had fits of giggles through the sillyness of it! It was quite amusing to watch him trying to do it too grin

So basically it doesn't 'flood' up there (that sounds rather TMI to me) so it couldn't 'wash' it out. Does the CM thicken after conception too, to stop sperm from entering? Or did I just make that up too hmm?

I know I should have paid more attention in biology lessons (Although probably wouldn't remember it all now anyway!) hmm blush

Thanks guys grin

PlantASeedWatchItGrow Sun 08-Nov-09 15:59:43

knew not know

nattiecake Sun 08-Nov-09 16:02:49

oo, i think i remember reading that somewhere actually!

PlantASeedWatchItGrow Sun 08-Nov-09 23:01:04

nattie you read about the egg being lost due to intercourse or CM getting thicker after conception??

givecarrotsachance Sun 08-Nov-09 23:15:59

plant perfectly reasonable question, but, no. It is not possible to wash out the embryo. Absolutely promise you can put that out of your mind. Now go have sex wink.

PlantASeedWatchItGrow Mon 09-Nov-09 18:14:56

Thanks givescarrots DP will be pleased! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now