Talk

Advanced search

Any chance a GP would prescribe metformin do you think?

(6 Posts)
ilovethebeach Fri 06-Nov-09 16:37:44

I'm TTC no.3 and have PCOS. Somehow got pg with DC1 without help, with cycles 45-60 days long. Dc2 was conceived on cycle 7 but we paid for a private referral and I was given metformin which I was only on for a month and then conceived. I've been tracking my cycles and reckon my luteal phase is only around 10 days, cycle length 30 days. I'd like to give metformin a try again but without having to pay about £200 for a private referral. Does anyone know if a GP would prescibe it if previous proof of PCOS, blood tests etc etc?

LeonieBurningHeapy Fri 06-Nov-09 16:54:14

Message withdrawn

yellowflowers Fri 06-Nov-09 16:57:00

please be careful buying your own online. They might not be good quality or the real thing plus I am on metformin and need blood tests every year to check it doesn't affect kidney function.

I think GPs can prescribe it now anyway without a consultant telling them to.

yellowflowers Fri 06-Nov-09 16:57:31

plus remember you need to build up dose slowly to avoid tummy trouble

YanknCock Fri 06-Nov-09 17:11:06

I've been prescribed it by a GP due to PCOS. Think it depends on the GP, so if one says no I'd try another, and bring evidence of your previous treatment.

ilovethebeach Fri 06-Nov-09 17:29:33

Thank you that's really useful to know. I wondered whether I could just buy it but not sure I agree with doing that in this situation.

yellowflowers- yes, would definitely build up gradually. I think I only got so far as 2 tablets a day last time but the first 7-10 days on it I felt lousy. Not looking forward to that but it did settle down.

Any other thoughts appreciated. Anyone been on this twice with success in conceiving?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now