Talk

Advanced search

Can losing weight change your periods?

(10 Posts)
yellowflowers Thu 05-Nov-09 09:13:51

Until now my periods always been 30-38 days (since coming off pill some years ago anyhow). Last month it came at 27 days. Today it started also at 27 days. Could this be because I have lost a stone? I've been lighter than this before though while on pill.

skihorse Thu 05-Nov-09 11:25:28

Hasn't made a dot of difference with me in 23 years, 28 days every month at my fattest and after losing 8 stone. But obviously this is just my personal experience.

yellowflowers Thu 05-Nov-09 11:30:29

that's interesting. Wonder why mine has then. Hmmmm.

Eight stone though. Wow - how long did that take and how did you do it?

skihorse Thu 05-Nov-09 11:34:08

Well it could be that your weight loss has changed your cycle. I have never had problems with PCOS though... however, if you had been insulin resistant in any way - then perhaps your change of eating has aided this and regulated your cycle... Wish I were sat here with your blood readings! wink

How did I lose the weight? Oh the usual way, stopped bloody eating and developed a completely polar unhealthy relationship with food. blush It took about 2 years - it's not all it's cracked up to be either - I kept collapsing, my hair fell out and I feel the cold really badly now. Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

yellowflowers Thu 05-Nov-09 11:52:58

oh my - poor you.

I do have pcos yes. I have to lose weight for fertility treatment (though tests show I do ovulate but they won't give me clomid etc until weight lost).

The amount I would have to lose to have nhs ivf would I think take me from a generous size 18 to about a 12 and you know, I don't want to. I know thin people will say I am hiding behind weight etc, but I like me and who I am. Sure I'd like to lose a couple of stone and a dress size of too for health reason and so I can buy nicer clothes, but this is me. I've always been plump. I don't want to be skinny just as I don't want my curly hair to be straight.

skihorse Thu 05-Nov-09 12:04:41

I have similar woes. My fertility unit won't give me "treatment" despite the fact they know I'm ovulating, I have been pregnant and I'm "generally" healthy and have a very small waist in proportion to hips/boobs but, my BMI is not within their acceptable levels. I explained that the last time I was at their weight my hair fell out and that I didn't feel that this was condusive to a healthy pregnancy but... wankers obviously! wink What really pisses me off though is that they're blaming my weight and because I'm overweight they won't test my boyfriend's sperm... so yep, I could spend the next forever blaming myself for being fat and the "normal weight" boyfriend could be firing blanks. Buncha pricks!

yellowflowers Thu 05-Nov-09 12:38:27

i totally feel your pain - though my hospital are doing all the tests and everything including husband's sperm and giving me an hsg. They'll give me clomid if I get bmi 35 (currently 41) but ivf only if i get to bmi 30 (which while 35 is achievable I just don't think 30 is). Completely agree - pricks!

skihorse Thu 05-Nov-09 12:52:34

Maybe I should take up heroin - that might reduce my BMI! wink My bar is "higher", they won't touch me until my BMI is under 30.

yellowflowers Thu 05-Nov-09 13:27:31

can you ask to be referred to different hospital?

skihorse Thu 05-Nov-09 13:32:35

Well I've just moved house so I should fall under a different area, or at least perhaps a doctor who sees the sense in testing my OH's sperm! If not, I'll just pay for private tests. I'd like to lose about 2 stone truth be told - but I don't want my fecking hair falling out. When I had a BMI of 29 (massive in some's books) I was in training for a triathlon and in a size 10-12, so hardly doing a Waynetta Slobb. <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now