Talk

Advanced search

Smoking & TTC

(8 Posts)
Cynthers Sat 31-Oct-09 18:07:32

Ok, so I know smoking isn't big or clever. It's disgusting and I am the devil's spawn. But I still do it.

A mid level smoker of around 10 per day. More if I go out blush

I'm sure this is pretty obvious, but how much does smoking affect your chances of TTC? Like does it spoil the eggs, or stop them implanting? I've heard of an increased miscarriage risk.

I think back to by-gone-day's when pretty much everyone smoked and there were still babies being born. Mind you, there probably wasn't half the crap in fags in those days...

I know I'm trying to justify my actions really, and I am being incredibly selfish doing it. And I will give up the minute I get a + sign.

Has anyone conceived with no problems being a smoker?

Will be visiting the GP next week to try and sort something out. I just want some of your views please.

LunaticFringe Sat 31-Oct-09 19:26:36

Message withdrawn

Cynthers Sun 01-Nov-09 15:53:06

Thank you for your reply.

Congratulations that you have conceived successfully and managed to give up smoking!

GrandhighBOOba Sun 01-Nov-09 17:41:14

Smoked until I got a positive test, and then quit straight away- told myself I didn't have a choice, I just had to.

GP said not to worry, lots of babies are concieved in less than ideal situations with no harm done, and its the quitting once you know thats important.

However, if you are having problems TTC then its probably worth quitting now.

TishTosh21 Sun 01-Nov-09 20:04:23

i smoke and am TTC, i smoke about 10 a day too. I dont drink though and im not overweight so i wouldnt have thought it would do much damage to the extent it stops you conceiving at all.

Also will quit the minute i get a positive test.
Promise x

Cynthers Sun 01-Nov-09 21:42:28

Thanks for your replies! smile

GrandhighBOOba I don't think I'm having any problems TTC - this is now my 3rd month trying. Although I'm 37.5 so this could be an issue.

Damn well thought I had it cracked this month as well. Had every symptom under the sun... until bloody AF turned up 4 days late angry. So that scuppered my plans.

I WILL 100% give up as soon as I get the positive. I think that's half the reason my OH has agreed to babymaking to make me give up smoking! blush

LunaticFringe Mon 02-Nov-09 16:13:50

Message withdrawn

Cynthers Mon 02-Nov-09 20:17:52

Thank you LunaticFringe - and all the best to you as well!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now