Talk

Advanced search

dizzyness when taking folic acid, is this normal?

(14 Posts)
PoppyIsApain Fri 30-Oct-09 15:46:27

Hi, iam TTC, i started taking folic acid as i believe that it is recommended asap when TTC. I have been taking one at night when i go to bed, when i wake the next day iam very dizzy, feeling sick and have a bad headache. Has anyone else had this?
I feel i should stop taking them as they are making me dizzy even when laying down. Is this normal?
Thanks

Northernlurker Fri 30-Oct-09 15:52:27

This is not folic acid making you dizzy!

I can think of two explanations - either you are in fact up the duff OR your boiler is pumping out carbon monoxide and poisoning you. Headache etc on waking needs to be checked. Get a HPT today and make an appointment with your doctor. Also switch off the boiler now and see how you are tomorrow.

PoppyIsApain Fri 30-Oct-09 15:59:07

Thank you northernlurker, i dont think it is the boiler, we have no heating lol, but ill get a carbon monoxide poison checker out of paranoia now anyway smile
I will do pg test aswell. smile

Northernlurker Fri 30-Oct-09 16:02:10

Oh good - glad to hear not a boiler! Definately pregnancy test time then grin

mabh Fri 30-Oct-09 16:16:03

Poppy - are you a bit dehydrated? That can give you a killer headache in the morning.

I was also once told by a nutritionist not to take vitamins before I go to bed, not sure why - take them with breakfast/lunch. But I don't think that'll be causing the headaches.

PoppyIsApain Fri 30-Oct-09 16:18:07

I dont think iam dehydrated, i tend to drink like a fish, i will try taking them with breakfast tomorrow, anything is worth a try at the moment.

mabh Fri 30-Oct-09 17:05:52

...and then go out and get a preg test wink.

Hope you feel a bit better tomorrow.

mabh Fri 30-Oct-09 17:09:20

...actually, thinking back to what northernlurker said, if you don't have central heating, are you using coal fires? If you are, have you swept the chimney recently?

If you are and you haven't, try opening the windows, don't light the fire, borrow an electric plug in heater, and see if you feel better.

If you do feel better - get the CO2 checker and get the chimney swept asap.

Sorry to be alarmist, but it does happen.

PoppyIsApain Fri 30-Oct-09 17:55:03

Thank you for your advise, we literally have no heating. Waiting for the council to sort something out, we are using an oil filled radiator at the moment.
I will get a CO2 checker tomorrow for peace of minds sake.
Sooo hoping it is the pg theory grin

Northernlurker Fri 30-Oct-09 18:01:09

I think oil filled radiators can give off fumes too! Will check

Northernlurker Fri 30-Oct-09 18:10:03

Err no - I think I was thinking of paraffin heaters blush Panic over!

PoppyIsApain Fri 30-Oct-09 19:16:48

Thanks northernlurker smile

PoppyIsApain Sat 31-Oct-09 17:52:02

Hi, thought it is only polite to update, plus still feeling crap.
I chose not to take the folic acid last night or at all today just to experiment, nearly fainted in an art gallery so fully believe it was not that.
Did a pg test BFN. sad
Checked CO2, it was fine.smile
Going to book doctors appointment on monday as my arm is feeling odd from carrying ds aswell so will bring up everything.
Starting to think i may be anaemic but when i went to get iron it said consult GP if TTC as they were with multivitamins sad
Thanks to everyone who has advised me.

puffylovett Sat 31-Oct-09 17:55:40

Mabh - B vits can be quite stimulating, hence it's advised to take them before lunch. ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now