Talk

Advanced search

pissed off re ttc weight loss

(17 Posts)
yellowflowers Wed 28-Oct-09 09:54:20

Hello,

So three months ago the hospital doctor told me I need to lose weight to be considered for iui or ivf and needed bmi below 35 (it's currently 41) Seemed just about do able and I have started exercising and have lost a stone in a month.

Yesterday I had another appt and it was a different doctor. This doctor told me it has to be bmi under 30 - this does not seem achievable to me - not for a very long time anyway.

(Clomid can be given alone at bmi 35 apparently but not iui so in Jan providing bmi is under 35 then we will start clomid).

I just want to rant really. The doctor didn't acknowledge I had lost a stone in three months (which I think is good progress) and seemed so disapproving.

I'm also annoyed because her scales showed I am heavier than my scales at home - so when I weighed myself yesterday morning I thoughts I only had about 10 lbs to go to 35 bmi. Her scales showed two stone to go - both showed same amount of weight loss but her scales said I was heavier when I started than my scales at home do.

Am so annoyed and just want to cry.

londonlottie Wed 28-Oct-09 10:08:25

Message withdrawn

yellowflowers Wed 28-Oct-09 10:13:30

thank you londonlottie - I think I will have to do the no carb thing - which I've ruined already today by having cereal for breakfast.

Joolsiam Wed 28-Oct-09 10:20:40

Doctors are sanctimonious, judging and patronising when it comes to weight - I've lost count of how many times someone has upset me.

You are doing brilliantly Yellow and must be increasing your chances of natural conception with every pound Just hold on to that thought and, if given grief, make them look at your weight history - I did this once when a GP was being particularly patronising and dismissive (ie just eat less and exercise - yes I do exercise and I'm on a permanent diet). When they saw a downwards trend in annual weigh-ins, they were a little more sympathetic. They still don't "get" the fact that you can be overweight and fit and healthy and that muscle weighs more than fat and will distort BMI

I also had the problem with scales reading differently, but I was in Winter clothes and standing on non-digital scales on a carpet - it can ONLY be a guideline. I suggest that, if there is any doubt when it comes to a crucial weigh-in, you insist on the weight reading being done under controlled conditions where there is no option for error - otherwise, it is simply unfair and makes a mockery of all your hard work

Why not go to Boots and weigh yourself on their machine, just to confirm that your own scales are correct ?

londonlottie Wed 28-Oct-09 10:42:28

Message withdrawn

sowhatis Wed 28-Oct-09 10:47:31

keep going with the weight loss, and WELL DONE! i am not TTC, but currently doing Slimming World and my bmi has gone down from 38 to 33 in 6weeks. am hoping to have bmi of under 30 by xmas, stay strong and GOOD LUCK!

xxx

yellowflowers Wed 28-Oct-09 11:16:34

Thank you all.

Can you give me any suggestions for low carb lunches londonlottie? Also we eat out a lot for work - easy to say no to bread. But what should I do - just ask for meat and salad?

How have you done it sowhatis? that is amazing weightloss. Maybe I should join slimming world?

Joolsiam Wed 28-Oct-09 11:34:02

Sowhatis - we have the same goal

I was hoping to be under 30BMI by the time I'm 40, but the stress of TTC / MC rollercoaster has put paid to that one as the big day is imminent - am keen to achieve that goal by Christmas though - 10lb to go ...

Re low-carb - I've tried Atkins and found it OK but quite draining and really missed my fruit. Nowadays, I follow my own regime, but ensure that, if I have carbs for lunch (eg a sandwich), then I don't have any rice / pasta / potatoes with dinner. Breakfast is usually All Bran - it may be carb, but pretty much all fibre

yellowflowers Wed 28-Oct-09 12:02:43

Yes - I lost lots of weight a few years ago (all back on now) and I seem to remember I gave up bread completely and then just had carbs once a day - so fruit and yoghurt fro breakfast, Salad with lots of protein for lunch and then normal dinner. May try that again from tomorrow.

sowhatis Wed 28-Oct-09 12:10:57

i eat fruit, yoghurt and sometimes eggs and salad during the day, and something from the sw cookbook at night, or j.pot and beans, salad etc. have lost 24lb and want to loose another 2stone by xmas. keep going!

xx

idealcamel Wed 28-Oct-09 12:17:54

This makes me so angry - surely your level of fitness and general healthiness is more important than arbitrary numbers on a scale?

I got down to a BMI of 25 last year after practically starving myself and exercising off every calorie that I put into my body. Unsurprisingly, I was much less healthy then than I am now, with my BMI hovering around 30 again.

Having said that, I found this site www.weightlossresources.co.uk massively helpful - I think calorie counting, while probably damaging in the long term, lets you make informed decisions about what you're eating and drinking in a way that restricting food groups doesn't. Not saying that this is the way to go, just that it helped me.

londonlottie Wed 28-Oct-09 12:19:12

Message withdrawn

londonlottie Wed 28-Oct-09 12:25:33

Message withdrawn

idealcamel Wed 28-Oct-09 12:30:10

lottie That's EXACTLY what I was doing - the 1100 calories a day. It's close to impossible and destroys all the joy in food! The information on there was really useful to begin with.

Am interested that low-carb helps with "stubborn" weight. The Atkins ketosis and general unhealthiness has really put me off, but the idiot-proof diet thing sounds interesting.

Am just starting the "is there something wrong with you" fertility testing, and it's really useful to know that BMI might be an issue - guess I need to get back on the diet horse...angry

londonlottie Wed 28-Oct-09 12:43:55

Message withdrawn

yellowflowers Wed 28-Oct-09 12:55:09

I do have pcos.

Right - low carb it is, though I don't hold with the not having fruit thing of low carb. But I will do the bread/pasta/rice thing. Just between now and Christmas and see how it goes.

mabh Wed 28-Oct-09 12:59:45

yellowflowers keep going. You look like you're doing rather well! I agree with everyone else about attitudes, et al... doesn't help, does it?

Do any of you expert low-carbers have any ideas for vegetarian low carb? Other than Quorn (which is a bit freaky), I get a bit stumped. Thanks chaps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now