Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me low sperm count isn't the end of the road :-(

(13 Posts)
earplugs Sun 25-Oct-09 21:08:10

I can't believe it, I'm so shock and sad after taking good advice from MN ladies and packing DH off for some tests to get the results back which confirm that his sperm count is borderline/low.

We're devastated, probably because we honestly didn't expect there to be a problem (although have been trying for 8 months and just turned 35). According to the report, everything about the sperm is normal, apart from the fact that there don't appear to be enough of them sad

DS was conceived on one single contraception free encounter when we got a bit carried away and weren't even TTC. How can things be so different 4 years on?

We've got an appointment at the clinic next week to discuss the results but please someone cheer me up and tell me this isn't the end of the road. Can lifestyle changes really have a positive effect or does the fact that I'm 35 and don't have time on my side mean we should automatically consider IVF? I'm terrified at the thought sad

MonstrousMuser Sun 25-Oct-09 21:14:10

I just had a little google and IVF doesn't seem to be the only solution. They can inject the sperm straight into your uterus to get a better chance of pregnancy. And as long as the sperm your husband does swim well you can still do it the natural way. It might just take a little longer.

Don't give up! Are you temping and watching for ovulation? It'll help boost your chances if you time it right.

Leslaki Sun 25-Oct-09 21:17:13

Well - my XH had low sperm count and sperm that were damn lazy - ie didn't move! We did go down the IVF route (ICSI) and the product of our very first attemp is nearly 8!!! but 6 months later along cam a very very welcome but very surprising positive pregnancy test!!! DD was born 15 months after ds with no IVF!!!So it can happen - but remember IVF isn't as bad for some as it is for others (probably helps of the woman is OK and the problem is with the sperm TBH). But 8 months isn't (according to doctors) that long to be trying - we had to wait till it was well over a year of trying before we got any tests. Hopefully fingers crossed everything will be OK for you -

earplugs Sun 25-Oct-09 21:35:50

What a lovely positive story thanks Leslaki. I know it isn't considered to be a terribly long time to be TTC, we thought we'd get DH checked out literally just to cross it off the list and seriously didn't expect it turn something up.(we paid for a private test)

I am following cycles very carefully, temping, OPK all of which are very regular. We have been BD every other day until positive OPK when BD each day for 3 days. Think we may need to cut back now in order to give the levels a chance to build.

Will look into IUI more and hopefully will get the chance to talk about it more at the clinic, thanks Monstrous.

londonlottie Sun 25-Oct-09 22:01:09

Message withdrawn

earplugs Sun 25-Oct-09 22:30:22

Thanks london. I need someone to tell me to calm down and stop getting myself in a state when I'm possibly jumping the gun by assuming that they'll automatically start pressurising us down the IVF route.

Having several samples checked sounds very sensible and hopefully this is what they will suggest.

corblimeymadam Sun 25-Oct-09 22:34:09

Message withdrawn

londonlottie Sun 25-Oct-09 22:35:47

Message withdrawn

InSync Sun 25-Oct-09 22:52:25

Hello earplugs. You story sounds so similar to mine. We had our DD 2.4 years ago in similar circumstances to your DS - she was totally unplanned (we had one 'accident') but very much wanted IYKWIM.

We've now been TTC no 2 for 16 months. We went for tests a few months ago and DH's semen analysis came back low and also abnormal in morphology. We were totally shocked as we always assumed the problem, if there was once, would be with me. DH was gutted in fact

Our consultant at the subfertility clinic wants to repeat the tests on DH as she said one test on it's own can't show that much as sperm counts can vary over time and a low count can just be a 'one off'. She also said that as DD was conceived extremely easily, this is a good sign.

Please don't get dishearted yet. When you go to the clinic they will probably want to repeat the tests on your DH before they even think about other options.

There are things your DH can do in the meantime such as vitamin supplements, cutting out alcohol / smoking, getting more exercise and trying to reduce stress - although I have no idea if these things actually help it's worth a try.

Also our consultanat told us that if you have a sperm count problem it's important to have sex on a regular basis throughout your cycle, every 2 or 3 days or so - and NOT just when you think you're ovulating, as regular sex can improve sperm counts.

earplugs Mon 26-Oct-09 11:02:16

Thanks InSync, we're going to take all your advice regarding lifestyle changes if for no other reason than to make us feel as though we are doing something 'active' about it. Sorry to hear you are going through the same, but very grateful that you shared smile

If you don't mind me asking, are you just waiting to see the outcome of the other tests or have they spoken about intervention? I'm worried that as I'm 35, I might not have that much time to wait and see if things improve?

I'm thinking that London has a very good point, I wonder just how many men actually get good results from these tests, and of those that don't, how many still go onto to conceive naturally?

IBlameThePMT Mon 26-Oct-09 11:14:54

Another positive experience here. My DH was found to have a lowish sperm count after we had been trying for 6 months or so. I was 39 at the time so we were quite concerned but in fact got pregnant a few months later. We then decided to try for a second baby when I was 41 and we got pregnant first go! We now have two lovely boys so low sperm count really doesnt necessarily mean you need IVF. Good luck!

InSync Mon 26-Oct-09 20:52:02

Hello again earplugs,

At the clinic they didn't mention any inventions at all. They just asked LOADS of questions, weighed me (but not DH envy), booked DH in for further tests and gave us some advice.

We have our next appointment in December when DH's next lot of results will be back.

I'm 34 btw so also worried that I'm getting too old. ARGH

But I was getting really down about it the other day, and my mum said "When you're 45 and menopausal and there's NO HOPE of ever having another child THEN you are allowed to be sad, but until then there's always a chance. You don't know the future so don't get sad about it yet".

In reply I think I said "But I want a baby NOW" like a 2 year old blush wink

OhSheesh Tue 27-Oct-09 13:23:12

Another good tale for you Earplugs. My DH had a low count but he improved it a lot through diet/supplements (his lifestyle was already pretty good). We saw a nutritionist at the Zita West clinic, who was great.

In the end we had to have IVF, but it worked 1st time and I was 37 at the time. Having IVF wasn't the best time I've ever had but not as hard as I had expected and certainly worth the result! HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now