Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Polycystic ovaries

(5 Posts)
taranis Sun 25-Oct-09 17:02:39

Help!

My daughter (29) has just been diagnosed with severely polycystic ovaries and is distraught as she has always wanted children, how can I help her?

helenlouisey Sun 25-Oct-09 20:21:46

Please reassure your daughter that having PCOS does not mean she won't be able to have children (I can say this from personal experience), it may be a little bit more difficult, but there is lots of help out there. When she does start trying make sure she doesn't wait too long before getting help, especially if she doesn't ovulate or ovulates very infrequently. This is a very good website that offers support and lots of info. http://www.verity-pcos.org.uk/

babyboom1979 Sun 25-Oct-09 21:55:19

Having polycyctic ovaries is very different from having polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have polycystic ovaries (as does my sister in law and a very close friend) and we all ovulate regularly and have regular periods.

However, if she has been diagnosed with PCOS, then as helenlouisey said, there are numerous treatments options to help her fall pregnant. There are so many wonderful ladies on mumsnet with PCOS who have had childern. It is absolutely possible!

Kewcumber Sun 25-Oct-09 22:04:24

I can;t remember the exact statistics but I think something like 80% of PCOS'ers get pregnant either will natural help (losing wieght low refined carb diet) or with simple drugs (metformin and Clomid)

PCOS is not an IN fertility condition its a SUB fertility condition. Loads of women get pregnant with PCOS.

However I would back up the poster who siad don't wait too long before strating TTC.

I ws given a deadline of 35 if I wanted a realistic chance of conceiving and I have severe PCOS

taranis Mon 26-Oct-09 10:17:04

Thank you that is reassuring I just did not know how to 'make it better' for her, I can't say it doesn't matter because it does

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now