Talk

Advanced search

Looking for sperm using a home microscope

(23 Posts)
micromarple Sat 24-Oct-09 15:00:35

New to this board, and a regular, although a namechanger.

Has anyone tried using a microscope at home to look for sperm post vascetomy? Also, are there other types of sperm testing kits available shops such as Boots?

Littlefish Sat 24-Oct-09 15:05:00

Apologies if this is serious, but why on earth would you want to look for sperm post vascectomy. There are follow up appointments to check for that sort of thing!

Presumably you wouldn't do anything as stupid as having unprotected sex until you've been given the all clear.

Rossco Sat 24-Oct-09 15:07:36

Do you mean one of these?

Have never tried looking on a home microscope but even if you saw a swimmer that is no guarantee. Has your DP/H been checked by the hospital?

memorylapse Sat 24-Oct-09 15:09:46

errr the usual course of action is to use protection until given the all clear, your dp would have to provide samples .

the mind positively boggles at examining sperm under a microscope..I daresay it would be something to do of an evening if theres nothing on the tellyhmm

Littlefish Sat 24-Oct-09 15:12:12

grin at memorylapse. Friday night is pretty crap for telly.

Rossco Sat 24-Oct-09 15:12:48

Must read properly before replying.

I thought you meant post reversal! If you mean your DP has just had a vasectomy then the only way to get the all clear is to have a sample checked by the hospital.

ShowOfHands Sat 24-Oct-09 15:19:37

There are myriad hobbies out there.

You don't need to do this OP.

micromarple Sat 24-Oct-09 17:33:03

Yes, I could look for another hobby I suppose!

It's just something I saw on the Internet (they say it's really clear and straightforward), and wondered if anyone had done it in RL, but apparently not. There are reasons but I don't really want to go into it.

I was actually expecting more of a flaming, so quite gentle by MN standards.

Thanks for feedback.

EccentricaGallumbats Sat 24-Oct-09 17:38:10

I'm intrigued. You really are going to have to spill and tell us why.

pooter Sat 24-Oct-09 17:38:56

I think it would be fascinating - but they are tiny buggers so you'd have to have a reasonable magnification, say x400 off the top of my head.

pooter Sat 24-Oct-09 17:43:48

yep just checked - x400 is the magnification you would need or even bigger would be preferable.

OmicronPersei8yourbrain Sat 24-Oct-09 17:51:36

My mum confessed a few years ago that this is exactly what my parents did the night before I got my microscope for my birthday. She has many tales to tell that I think most mothers wouldn't. She always regales them with great glee.

My parents just had a look out of curiosity (I try not to dwell on the specifics though).

ABatDead Sat 24-Oct-09 18:02:43

miromarple - while I am all for the advancement of science and personal life long learning, I suggest you leave this perticular task to medical professionals.

There are home testing kits but apparently a lot of them are bogus.

Frrrightattendant Sat 24-Oct-09 18:21:10

LOLOL at SoH grin

Sorry only clicked on the thread to laugh, didn't notice it was in conception. Sorry.

and Omicron...shock

whomovedmychocolate Sat 24-Oct-09 18:27:13

Just popped in to say that if you do have a look, and the sperm wave back at you, it's time for your DH to stop working at Sellafield grin

trellism Sat 24-Oct-09 19:16:04

My sister and her boyfriend have looked at all sorts of things under their microscope [blecch], and my dad was very happy to inform me that this was exactly what he did after his vasectomy. [shudder]

I wouldn't recommend it as a way of confirming that the operation's been successful though, but it might be fun.

micromarple Sun 25-Oct-09 07:26:36

I was almost too scared to look at this thread again, but have been pleasantly surprised by the responses (lol at omicron's parents).

I'm not a total fruit loop normally. We have a children's microscope already due to previous unused Christmas present, and it has 3 magnifications up to 1200x so more than adequate.

I'm not so much interested in the quantity, quality and virility of the little chaps (best left to the professionals I agree), just as to whether there are any AT ALL.

Frrrightattendant Sun 25-Oct-09 07:29:40

I think it would be really interesting. Sadly I don't know how to work ds's microscope, plus no <ahem> to experiment with here!!
Good luck.

slimeoncrazydemon Sun 25-Oct-09 07:41:32

Message withdrawn

GibbonWithAnAppleBobbingBibOn Sun 25-Oct-09 07:47:58

The mental images this thread have given me!

Omicron esp - giggling away here grin

OmicronPersei8yourbrain Sun 25-Oct-09 08:06:40

My parents definitely saw the little swimmers, so you could give it a go (but it wouldn't be a guarantee!), just never tell your children....

easylife73 Sun 25-Oct-09 11:17:28

My DH used to work on a breeding pig farm, and had access to the microcopes they used, so when we were TTC DC1 he bought it home one evening. It was very interesting, and reassured me that he was in full working order (the fact that he already had a DS should have been proof enough, I suppose!)
It can't hurt to have a look if you're interested...

MonstrousMuser Sun 25-Oct-09 11:18:51

God, if I had a home microscope I would totally be trying to look! I would have had everything possible under the microscope just to see what it looked like. But I'm fascinated by things like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now