Talk

Advanced search

Think I ovulated 12 days ago... is it too early for a positive result? <clueless>

(8 Posts)
notnowbernard Wed 21-Oct-09 12:05:28

TIA!

DuelingFANGo Wed 21-Oct-09 12:07:23

How long is your cycle normally? The usual advice (Though hard to stick to) is to wait until your period is late so if you're not due yet then it's probably best to wait. When I got pregnant I tested at day 14 and got a BFN and 2 days later I got a positive.

notnowbernard Wed 21-Oct-09 12:09:25

Cycle is all over the place

Last had a period in mid-August (but got BFN today)

But am pretty sure I ovulated 12 days ago - would it be roughly 14 days later that I should expect to come on?

notnowbernard Wed 21-Oct-09 12:31:06

Shameless bump blush

DuelingFANGo Wed 21-Oct-09 13:19:11

Is your cycle a bit haywire because you've had a child in teh last year? If not then it might be worth going to the doctor (if you haven't already) and asking for some tests to see if you are ovulating. Lack of periods might mean you aren't.

Apologies if you know all this already smile

notnowbernard Wed 21-Oct-09 14:24:01

Thanks for response smile

No, youngest DC is 3

Am having periods but irregularly

Have been to Dr twice (last time about 6m ago, I think) Everything was apparently 'normal' (whatever that is) but think I might call Dr to discuss the results now I am wanting to TTC, whereas I haven't been TTC before

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 21-Oct-09 14:34:03

I would have blood tests redone to see what your actual hormone levels are like. Did the GP do a day 2 test; if so did he compare the LH result against that of FSH. If that was not done then the test is meaningless.
A lack of regular periods can indicate that ovulation is not happening regularly. Some GPs are not clued up very well on such issues, you will need to be persistant in order to get answers.

BTW any test result done over six months ago should be discounted; you need up to date test results. As your periods are irregular the blood tests can be done according to calendar days.

Irregular periods are often caused by hormonal imbalances; your thyroid hormones should be checked out properly as well as a condition called polycystic ovaries (see day 2 test above).

Ovulation does not always occur two weeks before the start of the next period. It is quite possible to have periods without ovulating.

notnowbernard Wed 21-Oct-09 14:48:33

Thanks, Atilla - you have advised me on this before smile

I am going to wait a week to see if AF arrives (if I did OV when I think I did then I suspect date AF due to be this Sat/Sun)

If still BFN I shall go to Dr to explore further. Will ask more pointed questions this time and explain that I now want to start TTC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now