Talk

Advanced search

How soon to start TTC after abnormal smear and possible treatment?

(6 Posts)
LittleB Tue 20-Oct-09 12:40:44

DH and I had just decided to start TTC no 2 (dd is 4.5) when I got a letter from the hospital saying my smear results had come back showing severe diskalyosis. I had mild diskalyosis in February, then a colposcopy and 2 biopsies, which confirmed it was mild and they hoped would trigger healing. I had a colposcopy a few weeks ago and was told it looked alot better and they'd just take a smear to check, now the results are back and its worse. I have to wait until the 5th of Nov for them to meet and decide what to do. I expect they are going to treat the area and do LETZ , which I understand will leave me bleeding for a few weeks, does anyone know if it will be ok to TTC after that or should I wait until I've had another smear another 6mths down the line? I've started my folic acid just in case and would like to come off the pill, but will wait until I've spoken to the consultant. I tried to ask the colposcopist about it but she wasn't very helpful. Anyone have any experience of this?

LittleB Tue 20-Oct-09 14:59:46

Bump - sorry that should be diskaryosis, anyone experience of this?

MadBadAndWieldingAnAxe Tue 20-Oct-09 15:03:41

Little B - I have no experience of this but we met on that other thread and I just wanted to send a supportive vibe your way. I hope someone comes along soon who can answer your questions.

earplugs Tue 20-Oct-09 17:11:57

Hi, sorry to hear of your complications. I've been through similar treatment to what you describe twice and although I wasn't TTC at the time, they did advise me not to get pg until I got the all clear from a smear in case further treatment of a more urgent nature was needed which they wouldn't be able to do if I was pg.

The LETZ is fine, although hurts quite a bit once the local has worn off but nothing a good dose of paracetamol can't handle. I did get horrible bleeding afterwards on both ocassions (that didn't start until 4 days after treatment) and one ended up in nasty infection but think it is more the exception than the rule.

I would ask your consultant tbh, they might say that any further treatment could wait 9months so you'd be ok.

Wishing you all the best!

LittleB Tue 20-Oct-09 20:22:33

Thanks earplugs, thats useful to know, I've heard about the pain and bleeding etc anyway, sorry to hear you had an infection too.
Thanks for the supportive vibes madbad, they're appreciated.smile
Anybody else's experiences would be useful to hear.

kittya Tue 20-Oct-09 20:50:11

The letz is fine, its just abit daunting to be in a theatre awake!!! although, sometimes they do it in the treatment room. Thankfully, I had the all clear after the smear six months after. Hopefully you will to. I wouldnt ttc inbetween that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now