Talk

Advanced search

Newbie - please be gentle!

(18 Posts)
Cynthers Sun 04-Oct-09 16:00:14

Hello all [grin}

Apologies, but I'm new to this baby making malarky. So you've probably heard this all before.

Trying for my first baby, at the age of 37.5 - been off BC - minipill for 2 months.

Thought I had cracked it this month - been having weird cramps for the last 10 days (only ever get this 1st day of period) , sore/giant boobs, super sensitive gag reflex, just feeling odd generally. Period due between 6th (28 day cycle) - 8th October (30day cycle).

I'm a bit confused with whether I'm 28 days which I always was pre-birth control but last month i was 30 days. So anyway period due between these days 6-8th October.

Yesterday 03/10 had 2 streaks of blood when wiped. Then no more. Felt particularly queasy yesterday as well.

Today, when wiped having very light pinky blood. Its not constant and so far no need for a pantyliner.

So don't know if my period is arriving early, or it might (fingers crossed) be implantation bleeding. I know I have to wait to take a test, but just wondered if this seems like start of the period or I might just be flipping lucky and possibly super-fertile?

Can anyone help please? grin

chuckeyegg Sun 04-Oct-09 19:38:25

I can't really give any advise, my baby was concieved through IVF but I've got my fingers cross for you.

xx

DawnAS Sun 04-Oct-09 19:47:28

Hi Cynthers,

I am 34 with my first DD who is 17 weeks old tomorrow!

We started trying for a baby last June and fell PG in the first month, so it is definitely possible. We did unfortunately lose that baby (just in case you were doing the math...) but 6 weeks after the MC we conceived our little Elesha.

Don't dismiss this month yet, I had implantation bleeding aswell and it sounds like what you had. I was lucky enough not to get the nausea though until I was about 7 weeks and it disappeared at 12 weeks.

Every bit of good luck to you, I really hope that it has worked for you. Work quickly for us with both PGs and as I said, I was 34!! grin grin By the way, only came off the pill in the April after 16 years!! smile

xxx

PS: There is a lovely thread on here (starts with Bonkers!!) where you would be welcome. I've been on there for over a year now and all the ladies are lovely. Our first Bonkers baby just had her 1st birthday. It's a very lucky thread and you will be so welcome! smile

girlsyearapart Sun 04-Oct-09 20:03:26

Hi good luck to you.

I fell pg first month with both my dds.

With dd1 I had been on the pill for about 12 years bef ttc.

Trying for 3rd now!

Cynthers Sun 04-Oct-09 20:38:44

Thank you to all of you who have replied! smile

I have everything crossed, although I have a horrible feeling it is my period arriving sad.

I was only on femulen BC for 7 months, used condoms before, so hope that pill is not going to cause too many problems. It is just a pain trying to work out when my dates are if I'm unlucky this time! As I say I thought I was regular as clock-work, but may be not.

I never realised how tricky all this was, honestly have spent 20 years trying to NOT get preggers and now I want to, it's not going to be as simple as I thought.

Good luck to all of you too! And thank you for making me welcome.

DawnAS Sun 04-Oct-09 21:12:25

Hi again,

I totally know what you mean! I never realised that there was such a small window of time that you can actually get PG. But you can guarantee that if we'd have been BDing and avoiding that crucial two days, by some miracle we would have fallen PG anyway!! grin

Good luck!!

xx

mabh Mon 05-Oct-09 13:33:58

Hi cynthers I'm in pretty much the same boat as you - ttc #1, end of second cycle off the pill, still waiting to see if AF turns up!

My hubbie was amazed that there's only that short fertile window in the month - after all these years of being told that it's 'one slip' and you're pregnant! Hah.

Hope to see you about!

Cynthers Mon 05-Oct-09 16:01:13

Sadly it was my period (AF).

Gutted, and it now means I have an odd cycle. 26 days this month, and 30 last. So think I'd better buy some kind of ov predictor kit. Any recommendations?

Good luck to mabh

DawnAS Mon 05-Oct-09 16:47:44

Please don't be disheartened, you'll get there hun. smile

A lot of people have used the Clear Blue one... I used OV sticks that I found online. Be aware though that monitoring your CM is the best way to go, that and taking your temperature. That's how I felt PG. I used OV sticks but NEVER got confirmation that I was OVing. A lot of people never get +ives from OV kits...

xxx

Cynthers Mon 05-Oct-09 20:22:09

Thanks DawnAS smile

That's helpful, I picked up a ClearBlue digital kit today.

I forgot to say congratulations, on your baby smile - how lovely.

Still trying to get my head round all the abbreviations for things on here!!

But onward and upward as they say. I'm cool about it now, was very disappointed yesterday, but hey, it's me so it was never going to be that easy!

As many others have mentioned, years of avoiding getting pregnant, it would be absolutely guaranteed a slip up then would have probably produced a baby with the wrong man/wrong time of life, but now everything else is sorted, I can't catch those pesky sperms!!! blush

DawnAS Mon 05-Oct-09 20:37:56

I soooo know what you're talking about!! I didn't get married until last year so it's not like we CHOOSE to leave it this late is it?! We try and be sensible and give babies a stable home life and then you hear about the 14 year olds that have babies to enable them to get a council house!! wink

Anyway, that's really bad judgement of people and I don't normally do that. I'm sure they still love their babies when they arrive!! It's really tough though, I don't know how they cope at their age!! shock

xxx

Cynthers Mon 05-Oct-09 20:47:35

Absolutely not! Life must have been so simple 20 years ago, you married the first man that asked you!!! LOL!

I'm still not wed, but this one's a keeper, and has produced two lovely children of his own, so if there's any problems it's going to be down to me!! Anyway, not even thinking about that!

I have the added complication of a man who works away a LOT! So have to hope my ovulation times work in with when he's home!! Bloody hell this baby making business is hard work!! grin

DawnAS Mon 05-Oct-09 21:17:10

It definitely is hard work, I couldn't believe how hard until I started trying!! So much for Wham Bam Thank You Mam!! Good job it happened quickly for us though, we both found it a chore and only actually did it 3 times around OV time when we conceived Ellie!! Did it a lot more when I was PG strangely enough... See, once you get there, it gets even more bizarre, those flamin' hormones!! hmm

xxx

Cynthers Mon 05-Oct-09 21:26:54

If my calculations are correct, and I ov the time I think I will (and the predictor thingy) works, I should catch him just in time before he's off abroad for 3 weeks. Otherwise I'll miss out in October!!

I have high hopes still.

Oh I'd be BDing every day, if he was here every day!!! blush - thankfully we don't have any problems with the practicing, it's the being in the same town/country that's the issue! And getting together at the right times!!!

Hormones - oh dear! I look forward to it!

donttrythisathome Mon 05-Oct-09 21:42:48

Cynthers the best of luck to you.

I'm 36 and 19 weeks pregnant with number one.

Was a PITA trying to figure out when I ovulated - took me a few months to figure it out but was very luckily up the duff within 3 months I think. So don't think your age is against you.

I tried the OPKs and the temping, but found that checking the EWCM was the best for me. Not entirely reliable though...
I had a 28-33 day cycle so it is trickier but doable!

Cynthers Mon 05-Oct-09 21:46:51

Thanks donttrythisathome - and many congratulations!

I so want to be here next month, giving a pep talk to another newbie!! smile

I need to read up on this cm business as well!! Blimey it is a minefield!!

donttrythisathome Mon 05-Oct-09 21:51:31

The book "taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weischler (sic?) is great - it was a real eye-opener for me.

Mind you, you can get too obsessed. I was so stressed out the first month of trying that I swear I delayed my ovulation.

Cynthers Mon 05-Oct-09 22:01:32

thanks again, I'll have a look out for the book! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now