Talk

Advanced search

can Clomid work against you

(12 Posts)
beanieb Sun 04-Oct-09 14:26:52

Am basically asking because I am sure I read somewhere that Clomid can stop you getting pregnant.

I have been on it for 3 months with a break after I miscarried following the first round. I do ovulate naturally. I am going to be 40 in 6 months time.

Am having trouble spotting any ovulation signs despite taking the cough medicine and using OPKs..

Am now worrying a bit that maybe I shouldn't be on it, maybe I should stop now (I have another 3 months) and go back to the fertility people.

Have I read this or am I imagining it?

amelied Sun 04-Oct-09 16:13:57

Hi Beanieb

I have read on here that Clomid can work against you if you are ovulating normally. Cant find th thread though - sorry...

I have been given Clomid (im on #5 of 6 rounds) because I am 40 and they reckon it will create more of my elderly wink eggs and more chance of conception.

I know Im ovulating with the day 21 tests and have conceved naturally three times over the past three years (all miscarried).

I have had te AMH test on the NHS and had a really good result for my age - the consultant tells me I have time. Have you had the AMH test?

amelied Sun 04-Oct-09 16:16:03

that should read concieved - D'oh!

beanieb Sun 04-Oct-09 16:55:33

Hi there.

Yes I have had the AMH test. It wasn't great but OK for my age.

Have tried researching this working against you thing online but having difficulty finding anything.

tetleytea Mon 05-Oct-09 14:53:45

Hi beanieb,

I was on clomid for a few months earlier in the year and my gynae told me that the downside of clomid is that it can thin the lining of your uterus, and that it doesn't help you to produce CM. Not sure if that means you produce less of it, or not such good stuff or what, but she did mention that there are other drugs you can take that have a similar effect on OV but that also boost your CM. i think "puregon" is one.

Sorry i can't tell you any more than that. I find it really hard to get docs to take the time to really tell you all you want to know...hmm

beanieb Mon 05-Oct-09 14:59:16

Hi

thank you for the reply.

I think the thing I read before was that for some women it can actually stop them ovulating so it's this I am worried about rather than the thinning of lining and the thickening of CM.

Am probably getting myself in a panic for no reason but just wondered if anyone else had heard this about Clomid. I have been trying so long to get pregnant and feel like I am looking at a childless future now.

givecarrotsachance Mon 05-Oct-09 15:46:08

CM or rather fluid which is a much nicer word, can really be affected by Clomid and this is really serious - if the sperm can't get through, it's not gonna make a baby.

You can get special lubricants (MUST BE SPECIAL as normal ones can kill sperm even without spermicide in) which will help them to travel up. Ask your doctor.

beanieb Mon 05-Oct-09 16:02:33

hi

thanks for the information. I did already know this and I have been taking the cough medicine and I have pre-seed.

What I am asking about is actually more to do with something I am sure I read on here a while back about how Clomid may not be suitable for some women and that it can stop you ovulating if you already do.

Wheelybug Mon 05-Oct-09 16:07:06

I think it can have an adverse effect in that it can potentially cause early menopause - I do not want to worry you about this as I am sure it is not overly common and would have been considered by your doctor. Will see if I can find more about this.

FWIW, I was put on clomid after m/c and then not conceiving, despite the fact I ovulated naturally and did conceive.

givecarrotsachance Mon 05-Oct-09 16:08:36

I actually don't know that sorry.

Wheelybug Mon 05-Oct-09 16:12:40

hmm can't find anything from googling so I might be very wrong !

I'm sure it was on here so I'll try and find it on here.

Wheelybug Mon 05-Oct-09 16:15:47

here

But, I wouldn't stop taking it without speaking to someone - at least maybe see your GP. BUt, its obviously not common as I couldn't find any reference to it online.

I should also add that the month I conceived dd2 (after clomid) I did not get a positive OPK even with a digital !
goodluck !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now