Talk

Advanced search

Killer cells? cytokines? -anyone have any info on this?

(4 Posts)
KC11 Tue 29-Sep-09 11:16:42

I wonder if anyone knows anything about killer cells that attack an embryo because the cells in the womb think it's a foreign body/cell and destroys them thereby preventing pregnancy? Can a woman be tested to ascertain if she has "killer cells"?

Thanks in advance.

Heebeejeebee Tue 29-Sep-09 11:48:14

Hi there

I had a blood test for this after my 2nd m/c and found that I was borderline. I've been going to the m/c clinic on Harley St since then and taking steroids from ovulation to af (sadly no pregnancy yet).

I think, though, that I only got the blood test because I live in the area where Mr Shehata from the m/c clinic does his NHS practice, so they are happy to give it. I've heard that other people have found it tricky to get the test on the NHS

KC11 Wed 30-Sep-09 10:47:50

Thanks Heebee. I am sorry to hear that you've had two m/c. That's really awful. I hope you'll have success very soon.

Can you recall if the blood test have a particular name or was carried out only when you had acheived a pregnancy? I've never had a BFP. I've had 3 IUIs and two IVFs and still not even a sniff of a BFP.

I might be tempted to go and have the test done privately if I can find out what it's called.

Thanks in advance for your help.smile

Heebeejeebee Wed 30-Sep-09 19:49:05

Thank you smile

I think it was just called the killer cells test - I can't remember what they wrote on the form. I do know that my consultant said that my (nhs) dr might not be able to do it. It was definitely done when I wasn't pregnant though.

If you check out the miscarriage clinic's website, they have a lot of info on it - www.miscarriageclinic.co.uk/

For slightly complicated reasons, I'm also seeing him privately for fertility treatment while I'm waiting for ivf on the NHS, so don't be put off by the fact it is a miscarriage clinic.

I really hope you get your bfp very soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now