Advanced search

ttc problems blood tests, scans etc help!!!!!

(4 Posts)
meerkatsandkookaburras Tue 22-Sep-09 14:54:53

ive posted on here before but changed my nae yet noone would rememberme anyway, so here goes, weve been ttc for 21 months now and no luck, the docs wouldnt do anything until i had been trying 2 yrs however the last 6 months i have been having worse period pains and also strong pains in my back around ovulation time every month, also my cycles have gone very very irregular and are anything from 22 days to 46 days!!!! so the doctor said they would do blood tests and if they didnt show anything then a scan, however now they are refusing the scan as my hormone levels were ok apparently on blood test - done on day 10 of cycle if that makes any difference?! she said via the nurse that took my blood again to recheck iron levels as they were low, that as my hormones are fine there is nothing wrong. yet i said to nurse that surely that doesnt explain the irregularity, pains and generally not getting pregnant. so the nurse says, i cant comment see the doctor, so im going to see the doc again on friday. can anyone help me and tell me what the blood tests have therefore ruled out, and also am i right that i should still be needing a scan or something as clearly all is not right or these probs would not be consistantly happening. or is doc right does blood test essentially mean that im fine im just not getting pregnant!

i have a child from a previous relationship who is almost 4 concieved after 2 yrs trying however maybe partly due to violent relationship at time and also i was always regular in the trying and never these probs i have now. my partner has a child from previous relationship who is 7 - concieved with no problems

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 22-Sep-09 16:45:17

If your GP and practice generally continue to be this unhelpful I would change GP practice as a matter of course.

The treatment you've received to date is shoddy; you should have been referred to a gynae subfertility unit by now. These people seemingly do not have a clue. Your previous gynae history (the fact that it took 2 years to conceive your first child) should be telling in its own right.

Am no expert but the severe period pains you've been getting could very well be due to endometriosis. To me the back pain and pains mid cycle are clues to this. NO blood test or internal scan though would detect it though as the endometriosis deposits are very small. Its usually only diagnosed through a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy. Its very common and much underdiagnosed.

Irregular periods are more often than not caused by hormonal imbalances like polycystic ovaries or problems with the thyroid gland. Your periods would certainly be seen as irregular, it should be investigated properly at hospital.

What hormone levels were tested?.
Blood tests for LH and FSH levels can be done on day 10 but two specific hormones LH and FSH should be measured earlier in the cycle (around day 2) as well. LH and FSH are important as they kickstart the ovulation process. As your periods are erratic the blood tests can be done too according to calendar days.

If LH and FSH were tested these two need to be compared against each other as they can look okay if only looked at separately. It is only when they are compared that an abnormality can be seen.

I would request they refer you to the gynae subfertility unit on Friday and do not take no for an answer.

nymphadora Tue 22-Sep-09 16:48:40

I had endometrial hyperplasia ( like endometreosis) and this was only diagnosed via laporoscopy .

Change gp or at least see a different one

meerkatsandkookaburras Tue 22-Sep-09 20:17:08

thanks so much i thought the hormone tests wouldnt be an answer they are just conning me i know it. will see what they say friday, if no luck im changing doctors monday for definate. i really dont know whats wrong but am getting more annoyed by not knowing than i think i would be by being told i could never have more children which surely by the longer they leave me could become a possibility??? will ring another doctors tomorrow and enquire if i can change to them as they are a different village etc. both doctors in this surgery are as bad as each other!! any idea if i can self refer to hospital?? think the problem as well is im overweight and they keep blaming that which i know could be part of it but im pretty sure it wouldnt cause all the problems!! though who knows!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now