Talk

Advanced search

Please help me interpret blood test hormone results

(7 Posts)
freakymonday Tue 22-Sep-09 11:22:58

Hi,

I've just had blood test and other results back from hospital doc and any knowledge you have helpful. He says HSG test next and then assisted conception.

I have pcos but please don't point me to verity website - I hate it. Scan showed pcos but cysts not too big and everything else looking norma.

Progesterone at day 21 was 32
FSH/LH at day 3 was FSH 5.0 and LH 3.5
Prolactin 147
SHBG 22

DH sperm low end of normal - below average but not disastrous morphology.

All help welcome.
x

Ruthsarah Tue 22-Sep-09 11:31:10

Hiyyah

Your progesterone level shows you are ovulating, your FSH and LH are spot on for day 3 (not really showing PCOS). Others fine!!

I would agree that you need to find out if your tubes are clear next and if they are then you may need something like IUI where your partner´s sperm sample is prepared so that only the best of the best is put in you at the point of ovulation.

Hope this helps.

Ruthsarah

freakymonday Tue 22-Sep-09 12:15:45

Phew - so all good news (except sperm). Thanks!

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 22-Sep-09 13:50:00

Your prolactin level is elevated (but this is also seen with PCOS) but your SHBG looks okay which is good (as this can be problematic with PCOS patients).

Good luck with your HSG test; it is a useful test to have done as it can show deformities inside the tubes. It should not be very painful providing the dye is injected both slowly and carefully. Do wear some sanitary protection post test; the liquid used will leak out.

freakymonday Tue 22-Sep-09 13:56:26

thankyou Attilathemeerkat. IS there anything that can be done about the prolactin level then? (oranything I can do through diet etc)

laurielou Tue 22-Sep-09 14:09:47

freakymonday your post could be mine! Just had appointment with clinic this morning, My progesterone at day 21 was 54. Found out this morning DP's sperm little below normal. Now awaiting appointment for HSG test. Assuming that shows clear a dose of Clomid to make me "super-fertile" & fingers crossed away we go!

No help really, just nice to hear someone in very similar position.

ruthsarah thanks for clarifying what IUI is. GP mentioned it earlier but my head was reeling at the news that DP's sperm was a bit low. So thank you.

Good luck freaky keep posting.

butternutmum Tue 22-Sep-09 18:19:34

I didnt think your prolactin looked elevated but it depends what measurement is being used. Check out fertility friends website- lots of info on there on hormone levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now