Talk

Advanced search

Going back for first set of blood test results tomorrow

(8 Posts)
choufleur Mon 21-Sep-09 19:40:41

Is there anything i should be asking GP?

I had blood test done last week to check i think the vast majority of my hormones. Just want to make sure that ask him relevant questions so any pointers gratefully received.

emeraldgirl1 Mon 21-Sep-09 19:50:04

Hi choufleur

can i ask what the tests were looking for? PCOS?

choufleur Mon 21-Sep-09 19:55:13

I have very irregular periods (one in the past 4 months). I have one Ds (3.5). i had to take clomid to get pregnant with him but looking back feel that i just took it blindly and didn't ask why i should be taking it. I still don't really know why.

i want to feel more in control this time.

2ndDestiny Mon 21-Sep-09 20:48:46

Which cycle day did they take your blood test on?

Some of the things which cause irregular cycles are:

PCOS (slightly raised testosterone and/or an LH:FSH ratio of 2:1 or greater can indicate this, but some women have normal hormone profiles with PCOS)

thyroid problems

raised prolactin

If I were you I'd ask about all of these and also (especially if nothing is diagnosed from the blood tests), see if you can get an ultrasound to check your womb and ovaries too.

Clomid is prescribed to induce ovulation. With such an irregular cycle you may not be ovulating on your own. Totally agree that it's a good idea to understand the underlying cause of the irregularity and have more control over your treatment. Good luck with your appointment.

choufleur Mon 21-Sep-09 20:52:37

It was day 65, i think. need to check my diary but last period in July.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 22-Sep-09 07:49:28

They should be testing your blood levels according to calendar days if your cycle is this irregular.

They should be doing bloods on you on the 2nd and 21st of the month.

Would agree with the poissible underlying causes that 2nd Destiny outlined; its likely to be either PCO or thyroid imbalances.

Clomid is usually taken when there are ovulatory problems. You should be monitored whilst on clomid as well as its quite powerful stuff and is not actually suitable for all.

If GP is unsure ask for a referral there and then to a gynae at a subfertility unit.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 22-Sep-09 07:50:03

Ensure that the level of LH is compared against that of FSH. If LH is higher than FSH this is one possible indicator of PCOS.

choufleur Tue 22-Sep-09 09:58:52

well my LH:FSH levels were 108 (which apparently is ver high) to 7.5. I'm now waiting for an appointment for an ovarian scan.

Thanks for your comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now