Talk

Advanced search

Can some lovely MNer offer some advice about which day my period actually starts on please? (poss TMI)

(6 Posts)
KnickersandVests Mon 14-Sep-09 11:59:18

DP and I are planning on TTC #2 in the new year so I thought it would be a good idea to start taking note over the next three months of when the first day of my period is so I can work out when I'm ovulating to be prepared for the new year.

Thing is, and here comes the TMI bit, there are always a couple/three days of not quite bleeding but sort pinky brown ickyness before the proper blood starts. Not enough to warrant a tampon or even a pad, a pantyliner is often enough. Then genuine bleeding starts and a full on 5-6 day period.

So I want to know is, which day am I starting my period on, the day the proper red blood starts or the day the pinky/brown ick starts?

TIA you wise MNers smile

ElusiveMoose Mon 14-Sep-09 13:02:58

Sorry, no real answer, but I'm interested in this as well because I get exactly the same! I usually count the first day as the first time I get any brownish/pink CM, on the basis that it must mean something's 'happening'. But I'd be happy to stand corrected if anyone has a more scientific answer!!

KnickersandVests Mon 14-Sep-09 13:20:21

Hi Elusivemoose, please excuse my menstrual ignorance here but what's CM?

ElusiveMoose Mon 14-Sep-09 13:50:29

Sorry, I sometimes forget that not everyone is quite so cycle obsessed!! CM stands for cervical mucus, ie the 'stuff' that comes out throughout your cycle, but varies in consistency/colour depending on what stage you're at. (If you're interested, it tends to look clear and stretchy, like egg white, when you're at your most fertile - generally referred to on here as EWCM (egg white cervical mucus).)

idealcamel Mon 14-Sep-09 14:18:23

Fertility Friend, which tends to have all the answers for me because it sounds scientific, says to start counting from the first day of bleeding that needs protection:

"This is the first day that you have red flow (not spotting). This is cycle day one."

Makes me feel better - if I had to count from the point I start spotting my cycle would sometimes be below 20 days!

ElusiveMoose Mon 14-Sep-09 15:07:15

That's interesting, idealcamel, because I think of myself as having a very short luteal phase (7-8 days), but maybe I could add a day or so onto that. Every little helps smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now