Talk

Advanced search

dh - can he take anti depressants while ttc

(11 Posts)
hooplahoop Mon 07-Sep-09 20:57:40

Thats it really, he's having a really rough time at the moment, but we're thinking about ttc no.2, would it be safe/ disruptive for him to take anti depressants?

Thanks for your help

Twinsmommy Tue 08-Sep-09 11:50:00

Anti-depressants can affect libido - only problem I can foresee immediately. Obviously though, not everyone gets all the side effects, but, I'd say, a drop in libido is one of the main side effects associated with them.

Ladyemmalou83 Tue 08-Sep-09 12:04:45

Im taking Anti-depressants and TTC. Although I'd prefere not to take them, I know I need them at the moment. Doc said it would be ok TTC. I know ur asking about ur DH, but if Doc thinks its ok for me, Im pretty sure they would be ok for him.

Hope ur DH is ok

Twinsmommy Tue 08-Sep-09 12:18:34

I would just add that a drop in libido is not so bad for a woman, as you can still perform the "act" so-to-speak. More problematic if your DH is affected by them - it might cause erection problems due to lack of sex-drive.

hooplahoop Tue 08-Sep-09 21:12:46

Thanks for messages. Not too worried about libido, more that the quality of the sperm might be affected... oh I bet I sound really ignorant!

will get him to double check with GP

yellowflowers Tue 08-Sep-09 22:19:01

I think sometimes anti depressants make ejaculation difficult.

homebound Wed 09-Sep-09 20:58:37

Can someone tell me if it is safe to take citalopram and folic acid at the same time. Not wanting to go off citalopram...but want to reap the benefits of folic acid for a potential baby! Any help is appreciated!!!

pania Wed 09-Sep-09 21:18:26

There have been a couple of studies showing damage to the DNA in the sperm of men taking anti-depressants (SSRIs) but apparently after the man stops taking them, the sperm return to normal.

pania Wed 09-Sep-09 21:44:19

Sorry hooplahoop, that was a bit blunt. blush I hope I didn't upset you - I just posted because I remembered reading about this at the time.
I'm sorry your dh is struggling. His doctor will obviously be able to give him the most up to date info. Good luck.

hooplahoop Thu 10-Sep-09 09:00:59

No worries, informative bluntness welcome!

FertilityFairy Thu 10-Sep-09 13:55:28

Hi hoopaloop - supplementing with vit B12 can help with DNA damage to sperm so might be a good idea to offset any effect of the antidepressants. Also zinc & folic acid really important for all men who are TTC to take and Taurine can help with libido if that does become an issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now