Talk

Advanced search

Hair not falling out is conception sign, but what if loads falls out?

(11 Posts)
yellowflowers Mon 07-Sep-09 14:10:44

Hi,

I am ttc no 1. I have thick hair and it falls out quite a lot - eg if I run my fingers through it. I have so much hair this has never been a problem. I;ve read however that when hair stops doing this it can be a very early pregnancy sign. So my question is, mine has done the opposite - that is more is coming out when I brush than usual - does this mean I am def not pregnant (I am 8dpo).

Just wondered...

x

yellowflowers Mon 07-Sep-09 17:47:06

bump

2ndDestiny Mon 07-Sep-09 17:56:33

Hi yellowflowers

I think we may have 'met' before. Do you have PCOS?

I don't know if this is very helpful for you, so I am a little wary of posting it (don't want to scare you unnecessarily!)... But hair loss can be a symptom of PCOS. I have PCOS (diagnosed this year) - when I came off the pill last year to get ready for ttc, my PCOS symptoms flared up a bit (e.g. acne and so on, though was ov'ing normally) and I was shedding great handfuls of hair for about 6 weeks. Like you I normally have a LOT of hair, so I managed to get away with it, and very luckily, it stopped and within a couple of months I could see that it was all growing back in! No idea why this only happened at that particular time.

I don't know, but I would suspect that at 8DPO it is too early to judge just from what your hair is doing that you are def not pg. Others may know more. Best of luck for a BFP this month.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 07-Sep-09 17:58:29

Hair loss can be symptomatic of PCOS as well.
At the very least the cause of such things is hormonal.

I would not assume that you are actually 8 days post ov; it is all too easy to get that date wrong. This is particularly so if the menstrual cycle is irregular in nature. It is also quite possible to have periods without ovulating.

wahwahwah Mon 07-Sep-09 18:01:23

Stress maybe? Lack of protein too aparently. Anaemia? Get your doctor to do a blood test.

How old are you? Mine started dropping out in my early 20s - hereditary in my case, so not an awful lot I could do with it.

DawnAS Mon 07-Sep-09 18:06:39

Again, don't want to scare you, but I have very fine hair and still lose quite a bit. But when I got PG last year, it stopped falling out. Then a week later it started falling out A LOT and I had an MC sad.

I guess worst case scenario is that it could be a very early MC, although unlikely I would have said. Keep an eye on it and see your GP if it doesn't improve.

fiver Mon 07-Sep-09 19:15:04

My hair always falls out more at this time of year. I just assume I am moulting (like animals do) ready for my winter hair grin grin

Has no one else noticed this? Or am I weird?

mummyplonk Mon 07-Sep-09 19:22:09

My friend is just 6 wks pregnant and said her hair is falling out like never before, I guess we are all different.

yellowflowers Mon 07-Sep-09 22:53:13

all interesting. didn't know there was pcos link as not happened before but had pcos diagnosis since teen.

never noticed autumn link either fiver but maybe that's it.

sandcastles Mon 07-Sep-09 23:58:54

I was told by a hairdresser that some people lose hair with the changing season. Just like animal molt & get their winter coat/summer coat. Not sure if it is true, but I certainly experience greater hairloss around the changing of seasons.

The only link of I heard of in pregnancy is that it falls out more when pregnant...again this has been my experience with both my pregnancies.

lovechoc Wed 09-Sep-09 13:01:10

I am the opposite of most, when I was pg with DS I had ALOT of hair loss, so bad I had to mention it to a GP, was so worried. Turns out it was just a symptom of pg. Was told to stop worried and that as the pg progressed the hair loss would be less and less and they were right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now