Talk

Advanced search

Are these ovulation predictor kits any use?

(8 Posts)
Besom Fri 04-Sep-09 08:20:32

Are they worth the money? (I'm talking about the pee on a stick ones).

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 04-Sep-09 09:41:52

They can be beset with problems and are certainly not of any use if the menstrual cycle is irregular. They work on two misleading principles; namely that a rise in LH is immediately followed by ovulation and that women only have one rise in LH every month. Both of these are simply not true. Apart also from the expense of these items the results can sometimes be difficult to interpret.

Besom Fri 04-Sep-09 09:43:31

OK thanks Attila. Don't think I'll bother then.

sgibbo Fri 04-Sep-09 13:59:01

Besom, i have a book by Zita West which explains what to look for when OV and about to OV. Previously i have never really bothered with monitoring or even worrying about when i'm going to OV but found her book very insightful. highly recommend her book

Pinkjenny Fri 04-Sep-09 14:03:44

Besom - We fell pg with ds the second month of trying using an OPK. Having said that, we fell pg second month with dd too and didn't use them! They just made me feel proactive.

fizzpops Fri 04-Sep-09 14:10:54

Worked for me in two months. First month has sex once, second month had sex twice. So I would say they do work for some grin

What helped me was that I have a longer cycle than the 'normal' 28 days and so was able to pinpoint when I was ovulating (or thought I was!) and it gave us a time period in which to focus our efforts as we had precious little opportunity to go about things in a more natural way. Not very romantic I'm afraid.

I would use them again as when I decide I want a baby I want to be pregnant now!

Besom Sat 05-Sep-09 09:03:48

Thanks for replies. I may give it another couple of months and then think about it then. I know what you mean about feeling proactive.

IsItMeOr Sat 05-Sep-09 09:13:40

My experience was exactly the opposite of what Attila says. I found them helpful as I had an irregular cycle, so it helped me to know when to do pg test. They worked well for me, as I always got my period 14 days after the ovulation test detected a surge (or not, when I got a BFP). Personally, I don't think I would have bothered if I had a regular cycle and hadn't already been trying for six months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now