Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Running...yes or no?

(7 Posts)
MandM Wed 01-Jun-05 13:56:22

Hi
Just a quick question which has probably been asked a million times before!
I am very fit and exercise every day without fail, sometimes on the exercise bike and sometimes out running. I am doing the Race for Life in 3 weeks time and really don't want to restrict myself to only using the exercise bike. If it turns out that I am actually a couple of weeks pregnant is running going to compromise the pregnancy in any way? It's not as though I am introducing any new activities or exerting myself any more than normal, which seems to be the only advice I can find on this topic, but is continuing my normal levels of exercise safe? Also, are sit-ups a complete no-no once pg?

Sorry to be a bit waffley!

LottieG Wed 01-Jun-05 13:59:44

I think that running is ok, as long as you keep well hydrated and don't get too hot.

I ran a bit in early pregnancy with no problems and being fit to begin with really really helps with getting through pregnancy and birth.

Not sure about sit ups, maybe someone else knows.

Seem to remember that the Runners World website has good section on running while pregnant.

hth

northerner Wed 01-Jun-05 14:09:16

IIRC correctly situps are OK in first trimester, after that it's a no no.

IMO sit ups whilst pregnant would be a bit like shovelling snow whilst it's still snowing!

Sparks Wed 01-Jun-05 14:18:56

I did situps in early pregnancy and didn't have any problems. In fact, I think it helped me to get my tummy back to normal more quickly after the baby was born. My rule of thumb in pregnancy was to do whatever I felt comfortable with, but not push myself. If you are an experienced runner, you will know your own limits.

GL

lapsedrunner Wed 01-Jun-05 14:24:26

I ran until I was 5 months pregnant with no problems. My Dr advised that it was ok to carry on as I was already a regular runner before preganancy.

MandM Wed 01-Jun-05 14:26:06

Sparks - that was what I was thinking re sit-ups.

With dd I put on 5 and a half stone when pg and did absolutely zero exercise despite being relatively fit beforehand. I am now much lighter and fitter than I was even before having dd and don't want all my hard work to go to waste and certainly don't want to end up putting on that much weight ever again! Obviously the difficulty is making sure that is balanced with a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby at the end of it.

Not even pg yet BTW (or not that I know of yet!)and already worrying about these things!

Chuffed Wed 01-Jun-05 14:56:21

Get a heart rate monitor, work out all your 65-80% of max heart rates and when pregnant don't work over 60%.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: