Talk

Advanced search

Talk me down please... paranoid am pg! (not trying)

(14 Posts)
Hoglet Thu 03-Sep-09 21:08:06

Have been tracking ov for a couple of months in preparation for ttc in new year.

This month ov came suprisingly early (as in 6 days early), DH and I have only BD once using condom carefully. OV was 2 days after (although I was expecting it to be 8 days after IYSWIM). (Paranoia #1).

Since then I have been ill with fever and tummy bug (cold sweats, severe diahorrea and very nauseous, temp through roof ie 101 degrees on one day. Therefore temps have been all over the place so no drop as yet (am on day 9 post-OV today). (Paranoia #2).

Still feeling weak and nauseous (paranoia #3) although BBs are the same. Have done 2 HPTs, both negative. Last three cycles AF arrived on day 11 so surely a first response would show up something by today?!?

Along with the fact that it was only one time, using a condom, with -ve pg results 2 days before expected AF, it's more likely than not that I am not pg, surely?

I have a 8mo baby and am due back at work soon esp as recession has affected DH (so really need the money) hence paranoia. It wouldn't be a total disaster, would cope if was pg, but kinda not the right timing IYSWIM.... And I keep thinking - but we used a condom! (carefully, and did not split - checked as usual). Although the totally barmy early OV is really creeping me out.

Reassurance opinions please...

PicknMix Thu 03-Sep-09 21:32:45

Is it possible your temperature spiked early due to impending illness??

If you've been ill with such a high temp then this may also have messed around with your cycle - plus the stress of worrying about it all may just be delaying af arrival?

I think if you've only had sex once, with an [intact] condom then the chances are extremely thin that you are pregnant.

Unfortunately I can't help you more than that!!

Wishing you the best of luck whatever happens

PnM x

MmeLindt Thu 03-Sep-09 21:35:08

I am really confused by your post.

When is your period due?

Hoglet Thu 03-Sep-09 21:40:38

Thanks, PicknMix. It could have been due to impending illness, however I got EWCM the day after BD then high temp the day after that so the two combined are a bit of a coincidence.

However, previous month I got EWCM on day 8 and day 16 before finally OV on day 21 with yet more EWCM so I wasn't too phased by the early EWCM this time the day after BD. I started getting spooked by feeling so exhausted, but that was shortly before the bug hit.

I know the chances of getting pg using condom are 99:1 but surely that 1% is due to incorrect usage etc, whereas I am certain that it got put on and removed as per the instructions smile. Plus aren't they spermicide coated to help kill off any, er, outside stragglers?... DH would be secretly pretty chuffed {for all of one minute until he starts checking the finances again} if any of his tadpoles beat an intact condom grin.

Hoglet Thu 03-Sep-09 21:43:44

Ha, I confuse myself sometimes MMeL!

According to previous tracking, period is usually on day 11 after OV. Which is in 2 days time.

However I am now suspicious of tracking because this month I ovulated a full 6 days earlier than other cycles therefore am not sure if period will still arrive 11 days after OV, or if it could be 12, 13, 14 days on - after all, if OV can suddenly move earlier, why should period (or luteal phase) still remain the same?

fiver Thu 03-Sep-09 21:43:59

I don't understand why you think you're pregnant.

MmeLindt Thu 03-Sep-09 21:46:53

Ok, try this a different way.

When was your last period and how long are your cycles normally?

I don't think that an earlier or later ovulation has an affect on the length of the cycle, does it?

Hoglet Thu 03-Sep-09 21:59:24

Cycles are normally 32 days and first day of last period was 10th August, hence I am on day 25. I can see that by "normal" standards I have another week before period is due.

As I understand it though MmeL, ovulation DOES have an effect on the length of the cycle as immediately after OV is the luteal phase or LP which in my case is usually 11 days.

As I definitely OV'd on day 16 of my cycle then with a LP of 11 days my period would be expected on day 27. Or if my LP has possibly lengthened by a day, then maybe due day 28. However the LP doesn't vary wildly AFAIK so it would be very unusual to go from a LP of 11 days to suddenly having a LP of 16 days and being due on day 32 as normal.

Hoglet Thu 03-Sep-09 22:01:20

(I may be wrong somewhere in which case feel free to correct! I'm all for learning! wink)

MmeLindt Thu 03-Sep-09 22:06:48

I think - and I am saying this in the nicest possible way - that you need to take a step back from the thermometer and stop worrying.

Even by your reckoning, you are not due for another 2 days. If we go by the conventional reckoning, another week.

There is a very good chance that your cycle is out of synch this month because of your illness. I had a tummy upset last month and my period was a week late. And yes, I spent the whole week worrying, panicking and symptom spotting so I don't know that I am the best person to give advice

MrsHappy Thu 03-Sep-09 22:07:08

Luteal phase does normally stay the same (within a day or two).

So basically you are worried you are pregnant because you had protected sex a couple of days before your ovulated? You're not yet late, you have no symptoms and even your ovulation date may not be correct because you've had a fever?

FWIW, I think I have had EWCM when I have had a cold coming. As for the tests, 9dpo might be a bit early to get a 100% result I think - but if you did one in a couple of days that should be accurate.

I vote you're not pregnant - it seems highly unlikely to me!

Hoglet Thu 03-Sep-09 22:25:26

Hey - I think you're my new best friend MmeL! smile

I did say I was feeling paranoid but then DD was conceived within 3 weeks of coming off the pill and we only had sex twice (was totally and completely unaware of temping, ov, everything then so nothing was being timed or monitored).

Plus prior to that I got pg (ended in mc at 8wks) and that was after only one cycle too, again with ignorant bliss of temping and timing.

The early ov and having sex just before albeit with a condom as I know they're not 100%, has thrown me this time, plus the nausea and temps being high (due to illness I've no doubt but it hasn't helped the paranoia).

Anyway - you have reassured me I'm probably being very silly and paranoid which is great grin time will tell of course but I didn't want it on my mind all the time for the next few days.

Hoglet Thu 03-Sep-09 22:32:17

Thanks MrsHappy, I will probably do another test on Saturday to put my mind at rest and hope that's the end of it for now smile

MmeLindt Fri 04-Sep-09 06:36:08

FWIW, I did the tracking thing for a while and was positive that OV was always around day 14 and DD was concieved on day 18 so it is not an exact science.

Or I was pretty bad at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now