Talk

Advanced search

Late period but BFN......what to do?

(11 Posts)
heffieanna Thu 03-Sep-09 18:11:33

Hi all,
Just registered - this is my first post. Have been off the pill since June. Anyway I am now on CD 39 and did a test on Wednesday and BFN. Had odd symptoms of AF being on route - greasy hair (although think this might be a symptom of coming off the pill), had cramp like period pains. Anyway, only 2nd month really but just wanted to know what other experiences are....Thanks sad

TheHappyCamper Thu 03-Sep-09 18:51:34

well first of all welcome to Mumsnet! smile

It could be just that your cycles are erratic after coming off the pill (I know mine were all over the place in the first few months)

Or you might have ovulated later than average and are having a long cycle this month

Or you might be pregnant!

Personally I would wait a few more days (as long as you can bear!) then do another test.

Keep us posted how it turns out please smile

heffieanna Thu 03-Sep-09 20:05:30

Thanks HappyCamper - was really waiting for somebody t post back so thanks! Thanks for welcome too!

I think it is that my cycles are over the place. Like I said I did a test yesterday and it was BFN. Got a wedding this weekend and keep thinking 'do I drink or not?' but I know I can't let it rule my likfe. Just let nature happen.

DH keeps saying "Just chill, what will be will be" but it's so much harder to do when it is your own body. I used OPK's and I think I ovulated between CD14-19 so I think I must be out this month.

Fingers and legs crossed wink

heffieanna Thu 03-Sep-09 21:18:16

sad

Ladylou83 Thu 03-Sep-09 21:27:53

I so agree!!!! my DH keeps say exactly the same. It is so frustrating. My period is late now by 5 days and all I get is BFN, and he still says relax.......Like Im going to relax when my body insists on playing mind games......silly DH

MrsPigeon Fri 04-Sep-09 09:07:28

hi heffieanna,
just to say you're not alone in the weird-cycles boat - I came off the pill in early July, my first cycle was 43 days and my second looks like being 35/36 - I think as HappyCamper says they can be all over the place for a while. What was your first cycle like?
Good luck!

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 04-Sep-09 09:39:32

heffieanna

The pill leaves your system very quickly after taking the last tablet. There is no real evidence to suggest that the pill is responsible for failure to ovulate. What it can do though is mask the symptoms of any underlying hormonal imbalance.

I would not be retesting as you've already had a negative result. Seeing repeated negatives as well can be very disheartening.

If your cycle as well lengthens I would have blood tests done to see if ovulation is happening or otherwise, your hormone levels need to be checked properly.

Also OPK's are not all that particularly helpful if cycles are irregular (a "normal" cycle is a cycle length of between 21 and 35 days or if there is less than 4 days of variation from month to month).

heffieanna Sat 05-Sep-09 12:49:20

Thanks so much for posting back. I know there are no magic answers but it is hard I think for a man to understand. Thanks.

Basically my first cycle was about 25 days and the last one was ......actually just worked it out and it was 46 days. Blimey. I was in Oz so think the jet lag and return journey got muddled there. So actually CD 41 (today) is not as bad as I thought.

I'm just worried that I have some hormone problems. I so want to have kids (as I know we all do here) and I'd be gutted if there was some underlying probs. I'm not keen on blood tests but....

How long would you leave things....?

heffieanna Sun 06-Sep-09 16:22:43

Still nothing.....what should I do?

heffieanna Sun 06-Sep-09 17:01:34

Panic over - AF is here and for once I'm kind of pleased to see here as it means we can crack on again!!!! wink

TheHappyCamper Mon 07-Sep-09 07:28:34

glad you are ok HA - you might like to join one of the conception threads. There are quite a few (I'm on Bonkers Anonymous but I just got a BFP grin) - it does help to chat and obsess with others in the same boat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now