Talk

Advanced search

What were your cycle lengths after coming off the pill?

(9 Posts)
tobago04 Mon 31-Aug-09 13:51:22

Hi i'm TTC#3,I came off the pill in july and got first real period on cd 37,i'm now on cd 42 and BFN todayhmm Has anyone had this,how long do i leave it before going to the doctors? Were anyone else's other cycles longer than there first?

FanjolinaJolie Mon 31-Aug-09 14:51:52

It can take up to six weeks or so to get your first 'natural' period after coming off the pill as it can take up to four weeks to ovulate, then your period would come roughly two weeks later.

42 days is quite a long cycle though so if it were me I'd probably go to the doctor in another week or so, but it might just be your body settling down.

Have you considered temping/charting to monitor when/if your body is ovulating?

HoneyPetal Mon 31-Aug-09 15:05:50

When I asked my doctor about coming off the pill, she said it was perfectly possible that I might not have a period ^at all^ for up to 6 months, so it clearly can take ages to get things back to 'normal'.

(PS. I stayed on the pill, so dont have a answer with my numbers in!)

tobago04 Mon 31-Aug-09 17:42:27

Thanks,would'nt be worried except i was quite regular before going on the pill and when coming off last two times to have dd's,think i'll give it another week and then go to the docs,might get ovulation tests too,thanks again!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 31-Aug-09 18:20:34

If you were regular prior to going on the pill then the chances are you will become regular after the pill. The pill leaves your system very quickly after taking the last tablet.

If you're over 35 a visit to the GP is recommended after 6 months. If your cycles lengthen or change in any other manner then I would go to the docs earlier than this.

Generally speaking, fertility does decline with age. This may be a factor now. It would not do any harm to have your hormone levels checked out; two important hormones that need looking at are LH and FSH. They kickstart the ovulation process. These levels are normally tested around day 2 and need to be compared against each other.

A "normal" cycle is a cycle day of between 21 and 35 days or with a variation of 4 days or less from month to month. Cycles over 35 days are more often than not anovulatory.

tobago04 Mon 31-Aug-09 18:25:17

Wow sounds like you know your stuff ATM,i'm 30 now and my dd's are 4 and 2,just getting really frustrated now,thanks for the advice

Hobnob76 Mon 31-Aug-09 20:55:01

I came off the pill after 15 yrs on it in June. I suppose I've been lucky, so far I've had 2 32 day cycles.

Ricci2 Tue 01-Sep-09 12:38:05

hi i am 25 and off the pill for 10 weeks - regular periods before pill, have had 1 normal period 34 days and today is the 35th day and nothing, so i am still waiting to see...

tobago04 Tue 01-Sep-09 14:51:40

Hi hobnob and Ricci2 i'm still waiting too,have you done a test yet Ricci? My periods were regular before i went on the pill and when i came off to have dd#1,caught first time with dd#2 so don't know if my periods would have been regular then or not,this is driving me madangry Good luck Ricci and everyone elsewink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now