Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Has anyone got preggers naturally after succesful IVF?

(17 Posts)
Chickyboo Mon 30-May-05 15:24:06

My dd is only 10 mths but I'm 38 soon and ahnkering after having another baby. We were really lucky with IVF it was succesful with 1st attempt. Everyone keeps saying its very common to fall pregnant naturally after that. Although we did have ICSI so not sure if this is true. anyone had experience of this?

Pruni Mon 30-May-05 15:33:56

Message withdrawn

Chickyboo Mon 30-May-05 15:45:38

First congrats it's great to hear success stories. Dh has low sperm count but don't know why. I'm hoping it might happen naturally as the treatment is quite draining mentally and financially.

Pruni Mon 30-May-05 15:48:45

Message withdrawn

Chickyboo Mon 30-May-05 15:59:14

I think we've slipped back into old habits.
Although Dh hasn't cycled for about 18 mths..before then he would be on his bike for 2 hrs a day.
Smoking - well he keeps trying to give up
Drinking -he needs to cut back on red wine
Multivitamins - I think I'll ahve to start him on these again.

Dh also used to do more tai chi i'm sure this helped.

Sorry to be graphic but when he stopped cycling and taking vitamins/minerals the 'consistency' improved.
SMOKING is the big one though.

Mak Mon 30-May-05 18:11:47

My SIL conceived naturally after ICSI. She couldn't believe it - DD was only 9 months old when she found out. So it can happen - GOOD LUCK

successful Mon 30-May-05 18:21:58

We had ivf/icsi and was successful with the 1st attempt. We have 'unexplained' fertility problems and would like another child. Ds is now 18mths and we are hoping it will happen naturally this time. £5,000 is a lot of money but he is worth every penny, and more. It was also very stressful. We have fertilised eggs in their freezer which would be cheaper, but my friend has just done this method and all eggs died on defrosting . Hope things work out for you Chickyboo and I will watch this space.

spangles Mon 30-May-05 18:33:58

We had ds1 naturally, then spent a year ttc. went to docs for help after getting pg and then mc and luckily were sent to see consiltant at local hospital. we were told we would need ICSI due to DH "dodgy sperm". We also used clomid which resulted in a pg but that ended in mc too. The next cycle of clomid worked and after daily heparin injections we got DS2. We then fell pg naturally whilst still BF DS2 only 4 months after AF came back (whilst BF) I know its not after IVF, but its a similar situation, hope it helps and good luck

lalaa Mon 30-May-05 18:54:51

not me, but my aunt did. had her ds through ivf 13 yrs ago, tried for another, no success. got pregnant 3 years ago - completely naturally.

Chickyboo Tue 31-May-05 08:14:19

I live in hope

bayleaf Tue 31-May-05 20:30:06

well sperm that stop swiming can presumably start again?! - dd was a natural conception - but current pregnancy is ICSI - we were told there was zero chacne of a natural conception with his sperm this time round and no, nobody could tell us why they had stopped swimming - but they did say they could just start again...

tigi Tue 31-May-05 21:01:02

Although this thread isn't relevant to me at the moment, just wanted to offer you my advice. We were told we had no hope of conceiving naturally as dh sperm pratically non existant. We tried cold baths, zinc and all that, and then sought the help of a herbalist, who told dh to try 'saw palmetto' (from H&B etc) in water. We did so for 3 months, and caught! We then conceived again later after dh taking this for three months before'trying'. The doc said said it was unbelievable! DH recently confided in a friend in a similar boat, who had tried for years, have 2 x Ivf, and are now pregnant! Why not try it and see!

Chickyboo Fri 03-Jun-05 15:32:16

I think I will tahnks tigi

Mirage Fri 03-Jun-05 16:42:44

This has happened to 2 friends of mine.Both had ICSI due to male factor infertility,both got pregnant again afterwards with no treatment.I know a few people who were told that they had no chance of concieving naturally without IVF/ICSI,but did so anyway,after failed treatments/no treatment-I'm one of them!

Good luck.

bonym Fri 03-Jun-05 17:14:47

A friend of mine tried for years before conceiving her son through IVF. Three years later she fell pregnant naturally with her daughter.

Gem13 Fri 03-Jun-05 17:21:06

I know a couple who are now accidentally pregnant after having IVF for their twins who are now 20 months.

Searching my 'Heat' brain, I think it happened to Jamie and Jools Oliver too.

tigi Fri 03-Jun-05 20:24:18

chickyboo, I think dh drank it 3 times a day- put a few drops (5-10?) in a small glass of water. It took us and our friends 3 months to conceive. dh said it tasted foul though! It's got to be worth a try though. Let me know how you get on. bye

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: