Talk

Advanced search

Irregular cycle length and working out best time for ovulating

(3 Posts)
WestYorkshireGirl Tue 18-Aug-09 10:41:17

Hi

Am new to TTC and posting on message boards so hope I manage this OK?!

I wondered if anyone has experienced the same problem as me...

I have always had quite long cycles of about 34-39 days. Often AF starts by very light discharge and takes a day or so to arrive fully. This month, this started on Friday, but proper AF didn't arrive until over night. Am trying to work out best days for OV for next month. Should I take today as the start of the AF or Friday and what do you do when your cycle isn't regular? Do you need to do an average and hope for the best?

Any advice appreciated!

monkeybumsmum Tue 18-Aug-09 11:39:24

Hi WestYorkshireGirl

Sounds like we have the same sort of problem - over the last 4 months my cycles have been 23 days, then 32, then 35, and this last one was 41. Is impossible to figure out when ovulation happens as each month I tend to go with what happened the month before, and I think we've been missing it. I used to be really regular too.

If your cycles are always between 34-39 days then you should be ovulating sometime from CD20 onwards. I think the recommendation is to start 'trying' a few days before ovulation, and do it every other day to give the swimmers a good chance of being there when it happens. WRT the start of your AF I would count CD1 as being the Saturday - it should be the 'first full day of flow' apparently.

Have you tried looking out for any signs that ovulation is happening? When I was regular(ish) that really helped me, although now I doubt my body's signs as I'm so confused about what's going on.

Good luck and have fun trying!

WestYorkshireGirl Tue 18-Aug-09 20:07:36

Hi monkeybumsmum

It's good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't do the textbook 28 day cycle! Thanks very much for your advice and will see how things go. Good luck to you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now