Talk

Advanced search

did you try anything different when you got pregnant?

(22 Posts)
bubbly1973 Thu 26-May-05 22:23:34

theres been a few ladies on here who have tried for a while and have gotten pregnant...what did you do different that made you get pregnant...does anything obvious stand out to you?

im sure there are lots of us who want to know so come on girls, give us a clue!!

Moomin Thu 26-May-05 22:29:10

ttc for 2 years when got pg in jan/feb. ....err just trying to think .... well, we'd both cut right down on alcohol and dh was taking zinc and multi-vits religiously every morning, and both those things had been since christmas. Both hadn't drunk coffee for ages.... but main thing is that we had ivf booked and i think subconsciously i was just focusing on that and for that last month i really wasn't worried about when to do it, when i was due on, etc. I can't even remember when we actually had sex in Jan and that was the 1st time for at least a year that i wasn't 'tracking' it.

Dunno, difficult to say, isn't it? All the very best though xxxxxx

bubbly1973 Thu 26-May-05 23:06:04

moomin thanks for replying back

i start my next treatment for iui next cycle, and i read up about a gi diet, low carbs...so have sort of started doing that, ive stopped smoking and stopped caffiene totally

but i am also worried that i will hinder my chances of getting pregnant on the iui if i change my diet...difficult one really,

any more girls want to share there stories about what they think made them get pregnant (apart from the obvious bd'ing!!) please post, im very interested in it as im sure are a lot of other girls lurking around

moomin i meant to say, its great to see that you conceived naturally after a long time trying, so well done to you and dh!!

Moomin Thu 26-May-05 23:20:53

thanks
also forgot to say - dh was banned from having baths... the day i found out I was pg he had a steaming hot one right up to his neck!

Re: diet - is your 'normal' diet good or 'bad' would you say? I definitely think that a good balanced diet helps your system along. Dh and I are certainly no saints but we don't eat processed food at all and try to eat organic veg, etc. but we'd been doing that for ages anyway. I wouodn't recommend a low-carb diet but from what I've read of the gi diet it sounds very sensible. I was on slimming world when I got pg, which is very balanced and I'd lost 9lbs on it from the sept to the jan.

TheJudge Thu 26-May-05 23:21:03

After 9 years of on and off trying, if you pardon the pun, it was a combination of wine, the Sunday papers and legs up on the wall. I must have had an inkling, even though the dates were skew iffffffff. I lay there for 45 mins with legs akimbo reading the paper.

9 months later

Chuffed Fri 27-May-05 12:29:17

3 accupuncture sessions and then dh had been away for a week so didn't have the 'regular' baby making and 18 days later BFP

Chuffed Fri 27-May-05 12:29:38

18 days after the day he got back I mean

TokenBloke Fri 27-May-05 12:33:54

Stopped using contraception!

bubbly1973 Fri 27-May-05 14:15:20

chuffed, how long had you been ttc?

thejudje nearly 9 years of ttc wow!!!

im thinking of acupunture if my next go dont work, one of the other girls who did iui suggested it to me, so may give it a go

bubbly1973 Fri 27-May-05 14:17:04

moomin, my normal diet is pretty average, but i did eat lots of carbs, like crisps, pototatoes (sp?) and white bread, so i have cut them out but i dont want to lose weight as im only 7and half stone so need to get the right balance of eating healthier without losing weight

dyzzidi Fri 27-May-05 14:18:54

Book a Wedding, spend £1200 on a dress and get pregnant just in enough time for the dress not to fit.

I couldn't actually care less about the dress but my mum is convinced it was this which gave me a kickstart.

teuch Fri 27-May-05 14:49:41

sorry if tmi but both times i fell pregnant I am convinced it was due to BD 'position'...I dunno, maybe I have funny angled cervix or something since they don't generally recommend 'on top' for TTC but hey...

I also have faith in the big 'O' (and that ain't ovulation!) to help the little blighters on their way

Only real thing i did differently this month was BD every other day ALL MONTH!! Had no clue about Ov because didn't see any ewcm so BFP was a surprise.

Good Luck

Chuffed Fri 27-May-05 15:07:42

just over 7mths which might not seem like too long for some but I had 2 periods in that time so was expecting it to take a lot longer.

Moomin Sat 28-May-05 10:41:36

I saw a nutritionist after a year of ttc and she said for me to eat more protein as she thought my diet was healthy but a bit too carb-based, maybe like you bubbly. I'm a demi-veggie, in that I eat fish but not meat so she recommended that I up the fish and also eat grain-based proteins like quinoa, which you eat like couscous or some people eat like porridge (this last bit sounds yukky so I didn't try this!). Dr Gillian's a big fan of quinoa. Brown basmati rice is also a protein. I do think being on slimming world helped me, as I was thinking much more about my diet being balanced. I was still eating carbs but choosing wholemeal ones instead and this filled me up more as well. HTH

morningpaper Sat 28-May-05 10:54:12

It had been 3-4 months since DH had started taking zinc and multivits which they say is the time it takes for the sperm to show any effects.

I had given up coffee that month.

Could just be coincidence!

morningpaper Sat 28-May-05 10:55:33

Ooh me and Moomin had the same things!

Tabs Sat 28-May-05 11:58:43

I'd already given up caffeine and alcohol and smoking completely, and eat a very healthy diet, as I'm following Slimming World, but the extra things that we did differently this month were:

1. DH started taking zinc supplements.
2. I started taking vit B6 supplements.
3. We BD'ed in mornings and one afternoon rather than evenings.
4. Made sure that DH came first rather than me, so that acidity 'up there' wouldn't be affected before sperm arrived, and cervix could dip into pool of sperm when I did .

Hope this helps someone else to succeed too!

We'd been trying for 4 years, including one miscarried pregnancy last year.

bubbly1973 Sat 28-May-05 12:10:53

did any of you have pcos? or was it unexplained fertility

moomin, i feel more confident thanks for that info on protein, i will continue with this diet, its healthy and i just need to make sure i get enough protein, i love fish so thats a big help

i will also take vitamin b6 supplements and see if that can help

Gwenick Sat 28-May-05 12:19:01

I'm sorry - wasn't going to post on this thread......but everytime I read the title the first thing that 'springs to mind' when asked

"did you do anything differently".....is yes

Had sex

bubbly1973 Sat 28-May-05 12:50:52

okay smart arse maybe my wording wasnt that good

bizarre really as when i got pg with ds i never actually had intercourse!!!

Gwenick Sat 28-May-05 12:53:46

I know I know - I guess I'm just in of those moods - but when I got pg with DS2 it really was 'something different' LOL

Moomin Tue 31-May-05 10:19:39

And me and morningpaper are now both on the Oct 2005 babies thread! spoooooky!
btw, in case i didn't say before, me and dh were 'unexplained infertility' as we already had dd. I had mild endo but nothing that would block my tubes or anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now