Talk

Advanced search

EWCM - what's normal and what's not!

(5 Posts)
theblackcat Tue 04-Aug-09 12:11:48

I'm TTC and not having much luck

I'm not doing charting, butattempting to monitor my CM and have been for about 8 months-ish.

It seems I regularly have EWCM for 7 days, in the middle of a 28/29 day cycle. From what I've read most people only have it for 2 or 3 days. So what I'm wondering is....

Is it normal to have EWCM for so long?

Also as this makes it a bit difficult to know when exactly I'm ovulating, but I assume it's towards the end of the 7 days???

Which means I only have a luteal phase of about 10 days. Is that bad?

Sorry I have so many questions to ask! I'm just wondering if these things are why I'm having preoblems get pregnant

Black Cat x

theblackcat Tue 04-Aug-09 16:39:47

bump

Thandeka Tue 04-Aug-09 16:44:26

Probably normal to have it for so long- you are lucky mine was virtually nonexistant some months! Temping will be the only way to pinpoint your ovulation/luteal phase (or using a fertility monitor but that won't definitely tell you you have ovulated only that the hormone surge pre ovulation has occured). a 10 day luteal phase isnt the end of the world- mine was 10-12days and I got pregnant twice (first ended in MMC) and am now 14weeks.

Have you read taking charge of your fertility by toni weschler- brilliant book.

theblackcat Tue 04-Aug-09 19:18:02

Thanks for your reply Thankeda - yes I've read Taking Charge, it IS helpful.

I'm not tthat interesting in pinpointing ovulation TBH, I'm just worried that I'm ovulating at all. I always thought EWCM was a sure sign you are ovulating, but according to the book, it's not and having EWCM over a long period can mean your body is gearing up for ovulation but never actually does it I wonder is 7 days would mean this is the case?

The one month I did do temping I had a temperature shift. But my temperature taking was erratic due to disturbed sleep and waking up at different times every day (I have a toddler). So may not have been too accurate, which is why I stopped.

I'm having a 21 blood test on Friday to see if I'm ovulating. But as it's Tuesday and I'm still having EWCM, I may have only just ovulated by Friday. So I'm also worried the test my be wrong or something. Does anyone know anything about this?

Sorry for rambling, I'm working myself up about it as I type. This is my 13 month TTC

Thandeka Tue 04-Aug-09 19:25:24

The months I got pregnant I ovulated on day 24 and then day 26 so up day21 tests aren't always great if you have late ovulation like me. But then thats because i have erratic cycles- from the sounds of things your cycles are regular so ov should have occured by at least day 21.

I use fertilityfriend to track my temps and it all works it out for me- my waking times are also erratic mainly because 4 out of 7 nights a week I wake up in the early hours of the morning for a pee. But I still found there was an obvious pattern once I stuck with it (and for overkill I used persona, cervix position and ewcm indicators!)

If the day 21 tests don't work out you can be offered scans as well- that should see whats happening to your follicles.

Fingers crossed for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now