Talk

Advanced search

Off Pill after 9 years and Periods are AWOL

(11 Posts)
KikidooNI Mon 03-Aug-09 16:44:01

Hey all,

I'm new to MN, it looks great and i'm hoping to get some advice from like-minded ladies!

I'm married a year now and my DH and I decided it was time to start TTC.

I came off the Pill at the end of April (so 3 months ago), though AF has not returned at all, and unfortunately I'm not pregnant as I've checked!

I was on Microgynon 30 for over 9 years so have no idea about actual length of cycle etc ATM. Wish AF would return so at least I now we're in with a shot!

Has anyone encountered similar problems? If so how long did it take your period to return?

I'm 27, fit, healthy and my mum didn't have any trouble conceiving, although she was of the era which didn't mess with their body with the Pill and the like!

DLI Mon 03-Aug-09 18:34:48

hi, i was in a similar position and it took about 5 months to get pregnant.

KikidooNI Tue 04-Aug-09 11:49:43

Thanks for that! How long did it take for your periods to return?

Hollyoaks Tue 04-Aug-09 11:53:25

Hi kiki, I was on Microgynon for 8 years and it took 6 months to get af back but then pg within that first month. Had loads of pg-type symptoms during that time too and did endless tests. Sorry its not great news but there is an end to it and its really common (as I found out via internet forums after I came off the pill).

Nobody tells you that before you start to take it and I wont be going back on it any time soon.

KikidooNI Tue 04-Aug-09 15:01:13

Really, no that's great news, especially as you were able to get pg quickly once it did return! I'm thinking the same as you though, there's no way i'm going back on it in between dc! Thanks!

Hollyoaks Tue 04-Aug-09 15:58:44

No bother Kiki, good luck in the mean time. If you cant resist testing invest in some pg tests off of the internet (just the wee sticks) as they are so much cheaper than standard over the counter tests. grin

moulesfrites Thu 06-Aug-09 08:28:01

hollyoaks am interested in this thread - was it specifically microgynon that this happens with or just the pill in general? I am planning on coming off microgynon after about 9 years soon too

tobago04 Thu 06-Aug-09 09:48:16

Hi i was on microgyon for 7yrs,came off in between to have my 2 dds,i caught 3rd mth and 1st month with them,am currently ttc no.3
and my first period came back 37 days later,don't know if thats any help but good lucksmile

Hollyoaks Thu 06-Aug-09 14:12:21

Moulesfrites from what I could gather on the internet forums it seemed to be the pill in general not just microgynon. I remember a few names did come up but I cant remember what they all were. When you do come off the pill though don't be shocked if your cycle takes a while to kick in. I had no idea that this could be the case but my gp made me feel silly for not knowing. On the other hand my sil was pg within one month of coming off hers with both ds's. I guess theres no predicting it.

pixiestix Thu 06-Aug-09 16:36:03

Hi all,
I've just come off Cilest after 9 years and got my period exactly 28 days later.
So good in a way I suppose, but now have raging pains and PMS and been crying in my room for the past three days as I feel so hormonal. Gutted not to be PG straight away, although I know all the statistics.
I could have done with no periods for six months and then an immediate pregnancy I think! Feel completely crap. sad

KikidooNI Thu 06-Aug-09 21:32:34

Yeah from friends and family, most said they got their af back quite quickly and some of them immediately, so it was also good to hear that others are in the same boat as mr and af took a while to come back. By the looks of things, everyone is different! It's just the waiting to see when it will return! I know you're gutted at not being pg in the 1st month, Pixie but at least your cycle is back to normal so you're not 'bd'ing in vain! Good luck with it and hopefully the hormones will settle down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now