Talk

Advanced search

Clomid for twins? I know it's been done before I'm sorry! Advice or success stories please.

(20 Posts)
Twinsanyone Sun 02-Aug-09 11:17:53

I feel there may be some negative comments on the advice I'm appealing for so if you don't agree at least try to be gentle.

I have 2 children already - we're ttc again.

This will be my final pregnancy - hubby has made that quite clear!

With this in mind I would like to try for twins. I have clomid already, 50mg x 30tabs.
I have an idea that it's supposed to be taken on days 3-5 or day 5-9 depending on cycle length and/or dr's preference. I got this info from another site.
Any advice on that?

Please don't hate me - I know there are people who would love just one baby and here I am with 2 and wanting 2 more. Please don't judge or hate.
I'm not the first to do this and it's unlikely that I'll be the last either.

Please help if you can!

Twinsanyone Sun 02-Aug-09 11:21:29

Also - if you're multiply pregnant with clomid - how has it been? Did it take long?

I also forgot to add that I do in fact ovulate regularly and may conceive naturally anyway, am just trying to enhance my chances of completing my family.
I'm not doing this to just experience carrying twins, I do just want this to be my last pregnancy, and if it's one baby or more it will still be my last pregnancy.

xxxxxxx

Geepers Sun 02-Aug-09 11:59:35

Taking unprescribed fertilty drugs, unmonitored, is incredibly dangerous, not to mention stupid.

What happens if your ovaries over-respond and you get ill? Are you going to go to the hospital and admit what you have done?

Don't forget that one of the side effects of clomid is that it actually prevents the lining of your womb thickening up enough to sustain a healthy pregnancy, so you could therefore be reducing your chances of getting pregnant at all.

moopymoo Sun 02-Aug-09 12:02:02

very very very stupid and dangerous. And just plain wrong for all sorts of reasons, including trying to trick your husband in some weird way.

belgo Sun 02-Aug-09 12:04:20

Does your husband know what you are doing? Do you know the risks of taking clomid without proper monitoring? Do you know the risks of a twin pregnancy, to your own health and the health of the babies?

Are you willing to risk your own health as a mother of two children, and the trust of your husband?

You say please be gently but you really really need a wake up call. It's idiotic behaviour.

sweetkitty Sun 02-Aug-09 12:04:31

Don't want to be the voice of doom either but I have a friend who was so desperate to get pregnant after being sterilised that she got ahold of clomid over the internet too, it caused her to have a ruptured fallopian tube or ovary (I think not too sure) but her other tube was alreayd knackered so it totally screwed up her chances of getting pregnant. Luckily she managed to get a fre cycle of IVF on the NHS and now has a gorgeous DS3.

I understand your frustration but please just try naturally without the clomid, you never know what the future might bring, I said never again after my third and now I am ttc#4

spongebrainmaternitypants Sun 02-Aug-09 12:05:16

It is not a good idea and extrememly unlikely to work anyway - I know a fair few people who have conceived on clomid and only one has conceived twins, it just isn't that common. Twins conceived via IVF are far more common, but that really would be taking things too far.

I was wrongly prescribed clomid for a misdiagnosed fertility problem and ended up producing NINE follicles. Had I conceived I could have ended up with triplets, quads, or worse.

Please don't try and play god like this - it really isn't worth it.

skidoodle Sun 02-Aug-09 12:05:52

Is your husband on board with the dangerous, stupid twins plan as long as there us just one more pregnancy or is moop right and you are trying to trick him as well?

jellybeans Sun 02-Aug-09 12:11:31

I wouldn't risk it, especially unsupervised. I have twins (and always wanted twins) and they are fab but extremely hard work. I think it's easy to see only the good parts or idealise it. I know of several people, including family, who have lost one or both twins late in pregnancy or at birth. Me and my 2nd twin were lucky to survive the birth, it's more risky. I do sympathise and know myself how it feels to be desperate for more children and possibly not able to. BUT think it very unwise to mess about with drugs/nature on your own. Maybe you will get twins anyway? Or maybe your DH will try for no 4. You never know.

Twinsanyone Sun 02-Aug-09 12:38:53

Well, you know what?

I think most of you are rude to even consider answering in such harsh aggressive ways. There are the select few (sweetkitty, spongebrain and especially jellybeans)

I asked for advice and you can give constructive advise to support your own opinion in a non-offensive kind of way.

Thought maybe mumsnet would have lived up to it's reputation about being supportive.

For those of you who thought I was trying to trick my husband - how dare you. He is fully aware of what I have in my possession and what it can do. He asked me to appeal for advice before we considerd using it - which I did here and I have got some fantastic advice from the selct few which I have mentioned. And after reading through these stories I think it's best to not use it - thank you massively to those people who did give brilliant advice and piss of to the ones who thought they could harsh talk me out of it.

Twinsanyone Sun 02-Aug-09 12:51:57

Sorry I meant there are the select few who have been civil about this. I'm not regretting my decision to consider it, or my decision to not use it.

You won't see me on MN anymore, I'll namechange back to my usual.

sweetkitty Sun 02-Aug-09 12:53:31

I am glad you have decided not to use it, you don't want to affect your ability to have more children in the future.

Can I ask why you and your husband want twins but not four singletons? Do you have difficult pregnancies and feel another 2 pregnancies would be too much for you? Financially twins would be more of a burden than two more children in that you would need two of everything at once compared to say if you had two babies close together and could pass down clothes/cots/prams IYSWIM?

I dread twins personally as I have severe SPD in pregnancy so twice the hormones would mean twice the pain and immobility not ideal when you have other DC to run about after too. Also the additional monitoring and risk to you and the babies and after hearing some of my friends stories with twin pregnancies has put me off.

I have two babies close together and in some ways they are now like twins, would you consider having two close together is you don't get twins naturally?

I think you are being a wee bit harsh on some of the posters very often on MN theres women who are desperate for another baby and their husbands say no way so they are thinking of "tricking" them into getting pregnant IYSWIM? They were advising you on the info you had given at the time, they didn't know your husband was fully on board with taking the clomid.

Best wishes for your next pregnancy, have you tried to look into more natural methods of conceiving twins, I'm sure there must be some out there even if theya re only old wives tales can't hurt to try can it?

londonlottie Sun 02-Aug-09 14:12:13

Message withdrawn

trellism Sun 02-Aug-09 14:33:46

I would never have taken Clomid if I hadn't had it prescribed with proper hospital monitoring. It is a powerful drug with dangerous side effects.

Twin pregnancies are often high-risk themselves. When I took Clomid I was monitored with regular scans to check that I wasn't producing too many follicles - a multiple pregnancy is seen as a risk of Clomid use, not a benefit!

I am sorry if you feel some of the people have been rude to you. However, they felt strongly because you are taking a very big risk with your own and your future baby(s)' health.

sweetkitty Sun 02-Aug-09 14:55:48

londonlottie - my BF had IVF twins over 4 years ago, she had a hard pregnancy, constant monitoring. carpal tunnel, horrendous water retention, csection birth, twins were 6lbs 3ozs and 6lbs 9ozs, she ahd a hard first year with them but now they are the best of friends very close and in some ways she says it is easier than having an only child as they always have their best friend with them and although they do fight they are incredibly close. She wouldn't change it for the world, they are lovely girls, very polite and well mannered. It's difficult when you have rough pregnancies I know from bitter experience but here I am prepared to go through it again, I know it's seems like an age until you have them but you will be you again except a better you with 2 beautiful babies to love. You are a very lucky lady, it may seem hard just now but it will be so worth it in the end. Hang on in there.

Kaylo Mon 03-Aug-09 00:35:57

Clomid is best left to prescription only....I would have loved twins once upon a time but as has already been said theres risks and I would not willing take them - theres a chance I might fall naturally but I'm hoping not now as one baby will be quite enough methinks.

Fingers crossed for a bfp soon as am sooooooo fed up of waiting now!!! This will be my last pregnancy also - my 3rd and last

I don't know your circumstances but surely to risk your health when you have 2 children already isn't wise? Leave it to nature - I see you've already said you won't use the clomid and to me thats a very wise decision

Best of luck with TTC and subsequent pregnancy....

LoveBeingAMummy Mon 03-Aug-09 07:44:06

Sorry but you can't post something and then only ask for the responses that you want life isn't like that and sums up trying to get twins too, you want you think you should get.

londonlottie Mon 03-Aug-09 08:43:10

Message withdrawn

Kaylo Mon 03-Aug-09 10:23:43

Lovebeingamummy jeeeesh - you're harsh. At the end of the day it's her choice not ours - she asked for advice to consider before finalising the decision. Theres just no need for nastiness.

It seems she didn't know the extent or severity of the consequences of taking it and after learning them she has changed her mind.

Chill out - mumsnet is a happy supportive place

belgo Mon 03-Aug-09 11:09:26

I think I was quite polite. But it's true though you cannot always expect to get the responses that you want, especially when it's about babies.

Twinsanyone - I'm glad you have reconsidered the clomid. It could have been very foolish to take it without good medical supervision.

Good luck with trying to conceivesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now