Talk

Advanced search

Mefanemic Acid for painful heavy periods - safe whilst TTC??

(4 Posts)
GothMummy Tue 28-Jul-09 20:15:57

Hi there

I have prescription mefanemic acid for heavy, very painful periods. I forgot to ask if its Ok to still take if you are TTC... obviously I would not be taking them when pregant, as I only take them when I start bleeding, but is there any lingering effect that means I shouldnt take them during my period? I cant imagine really that the drug can stay in your system to affect a baby concieved 14 days later etc but I forgot to ask my doctor and am now worrying!!

Thanks in advance if you know the answer...

gothmummy x

EldonAve Tue 28-Jul-09 20:18:27

yes fine to take according to my gynae

GothMummy Tue 28-Jul-09 20:24:37

Oh thank GOD Im in a bit of a pickle, with a horrible heavy painful period and trying not to take the mefanemic acid (which I really need this month) as we are TTC.

Thanks for replying

annas1 Mon 03-Aug-09 16:02:04

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know I took this for my painful periods (and wow it really helped)whilst TTC.

My doctor said it was fine to use while TTC but obviously not to take it after period had finished or during pregnancy (not necessarily dangerous during pregnancy just not licensed). She said that taking it during my period would not cause any problems.

I did conceive and have a wonderful healthy full-of-beans boy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now