Talk

Advanced search

Shortage of Sperm and Egg donors may lead to pay ban being "reconsidered"

(13 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jul-09 09:10:55

here

not sure about this. there is already such a huge difference in the way that clinics treat the "haves and have-nots". those who need donor eggs but can't afford to pay an extra £5000 or so per cycle (because most couples need at least 3 cycles) will be priced out of the market. and donors recieve reimbursement for loss of earnings etc anyway, selling your cells to the highest bidder, just seems wrong ime.

however,i do know that you cantput a price on concieving. it just seems v mercenary. like making a profit out of infertility.

OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jul-09 09:13:04

oh,and read the comments too. angry

expatinscotland Mon 27-Jul-09 09:16:19

i agree, lissie.

paying for eggs leads some disadvantaged young women to take dangerous risks with their health and no one knows the long-term ramifications of repeatedly injecting oneself with so many hormones at a young age.

OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jul-09 09:26:44

exactly. if you want to increase the amount of donors, look at the lack of anonymity. if we have to go down the IVF path we will be egg sharing, and i will have to write a letter to any potential child explaining our situation.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Jul-09 09:29:03

And yes, it leads to even more of a two-tiered system between those who can afford to buy and those who can't.

crumblequeen Mon 27-Jul-09 12:36:17

I would say lack of anonymity was a bigger problem than payment.

I would consider donating eggs (my sister has had a number of unsuccessful IVF cycles so I have seen the impact it can have) but not unless it were anonymous.

The person who gives birth to and brings up the child is its mother and I would be concerned about the future impact on my own children of the child conceived from donated eggs turning up as an adult wanting to be part of a family it knows nothing about.

OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jul-09 17:28:18

exactly crumblequeen. biology does not make a parent, and revoking anonymity has put a lot of people off donating. its a totally different ballgame.

and expat, the system is already geared up toward the better off patients, allowing donors to charge will mean the price of donor egg/sperm ivf will go through the roof.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Jul-09 17:30:05

I agree about the anonymity element.

OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jul-09 17:32:57

iknow, was just having a rant.been reading the comments on the article andgetting myself woundup.sorry!

OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jul-09 17:34:40

sorry, am getting v confuddled asnd fecking space key is playing up!

bamboostalks Mon 27-Jul-09 17:38:27

Those comments afterwards are so disparaging and harsh. As if adoption is an easy answer to infertility. They made my blood boil.

OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jul-09 17:42:23

i know. i would bet that the majority of them have not struggled with infertility (and most of them ARE men- think I made a validpoint)

OracleInaCoracle Mon 27-Jul-09 17:57:07

and, an awful lot of women in the us who donate do so while in college, to pay fee's. this can't be ethical and right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now