Talk

Advanced search

i know it's a bit controversial..

(14 Posts)
bertolli Sat 25-Jul-09 22:14:36

..to specifically try for a particular sex, but i have 2 boys and would love a little girl.

I have a 24 day cycle.

Is there a particular day in cycle which is good for a girl?!

I gather there are some theories on this?

thisisyesterday Sat 25-Jul-09 22:18:15

there are many, many theories. but ateotd it's 50/50

hester Sat 25-Jul-09 22:18:49

I think the theory goes that you should try earlier in your cycle for a girl (i.e. two days before ovulation) and at ovulation for a boy. The theory is that the boy-bearing sperm (technical term, that) swim faster and die quicker, so by putting the sperm in before you ovulate all the boy sperm will die off by the time the egg comes, leaving the girl sperm sitting around painting their nails.

It used to said that this was why donor insemination produces disproportionate numbers of boy babies.

Except that, having worked in donor insemination clinics, I can tell you that that is a big fat myth and equal numbers of boys and girls are born by that method.

My own dd was conceived through donor insemination on the day of ovulation.

Sorry I can't give you better news!

bertolli Sat 25-Jul-09 22:38:01

Thanks guys.

That's very interesting Hester.

hester Sat 25-Jul-09 22:39:50

I hope you get the baby of your dreams, bertolli smile

bertolli Sat 25-Jul-09 22:42:05

Ahh thanks hester that's so sweet of you.

MrsDmamee Sun 26-Jul-09 14:37:35

i too would like a girl..after having 2 boys.
but im ok with a 3rd boy or 4 boys really if you include the DHsmile

posieparkerinChina Sun 26-Jul-09 14:48:39

I had two boys and then tried for a girl and got one!! We would have sex before ovulation (This I knew from when we had conceived before), up to the day before. Now every medic I have ever spoken to says it's all rubbish....

bertolli Sun 26-Jul-09 19:59:28

Seriously? Rubbish?!
Have been reading up a bit since last night, and some people swear by the timing thing that Hester said.

Ah well, what will be will be i guess!

cloudydaze Mon 27-Jul-09 15:45:51

Hi, we tried Posie's method for DC2 (attempting for a girl) which resulted in another wonderful boy grin. The theory is sex before ovulation should result in a girl & sex at ovulation should result in a boy.

posieparkerinChina Tue 28-Jul-09 14:45:24

The best thing you can do is try for a baby! If it's your time for a girl you'll have one.... likewise if it's your time for another little bruiser so be it....

I have ds1,ds2,dd1,ds4.... all delights, sort of!!!wink

nattiecake Tue 28-Jul-09 18:41:49

you ready for this? you want a scientific theory, used with animals...? wink

male sperm is lighter than female sperm, due to the y chromosome being smaller than the x chromosome. so basically, you need your OH to ejaculate into some sort of container and leave it to settle. the male sperms will rise to the top of the container, and the heavier female sperms will sink to the bottom. you then select from either the top or the bottom (depending which you want) with a syringe, and turkey-baste them...

grin
x

nattiecake Tue 28-Jul-09 18:43:16

ps its actually not 50/50, human beings as a species are more likely to have boys than girls

im a wealth of pub quiz type knowledge, lol

x

bertolli Tue 28-Jul-09 21:45:45

wow nattie you are a wealth of all knowledge! Thanks for sharing!

Posie, i like your thought that if it's my time for a girl i'll have one.. Tis true. I think i might even get a pink one! Always thought i'd have 2 boys and then a girl, and i'm on track with my 2 boys..so.. we'll see

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now