Talk

Advanced search

Bleeding after very early miscarriage

(13 Posts)
sayanything Fri 24-Jul-09 10:07:26

Hello all. I'm hoping that you can help me with this, as I'm beginning to freak out a bit.

I had a very early miscarriage/chemical pregnancy last week. I was four days late, had a faint BFP on Monday, started spotting on Tuesday, full blown bleeding on Wed. Saw my gynae on Thu - BFN and nothing showed on the echo. She said that it looked like an early miscarriage, didn't see the need for a blood test, that I should just rest and that I would get my period in 26-28 days (per my cycle).

I had period-like bleeding for a few days, then it stopped as it normally would, but since yesterday, I've been bleeding again, like another period. It's only been a week since my last "period" so I've no idea why I'm bleeding or if this is normal/common after a chemical pregnancy.

My gynae is on holiday so I thought I should appeal to your collective wisdom before I have a meltdown and start looking for another gynae.

Has anyone been through the same/similar situation? Thanks all.

ginhag Fri 24-Jul-09 11:44:54

Hey if I was you I would get the number of your local early pregnancy unit and give them a ring.they are pretty helpful in these situations and should be able to see you if neccessary.

My experience not quite same as yours (was later,and a mmc originally) but found them very helpful.

sayanything Fri 24-Jul-09 12:32:18

Thanks ginhag and sorry to hear about your loss.

I live in Brussels and I don't think they have early pregnancy units here. I think I'll try and ring a clinic here and try to speak to the gynae on duty. Thanks again.

ginhag Fri 24-Jul-09 12:41:53

Yep I would do that if I was you.hopefully they will be able to put your mind at ease.

skihorse Fri 24-Jul-09 13:04:41

sayanything The Edith Cavell has a good maternity unit, as does St Luc out at Kraainem.

skihorse Fri 24-Jul-09 13:06:25

If you don't get any joy from them (summer hols) - try UKL (University hospital in Leuven) as they have an excellent ob/gyn unit and of course they're English speaking. If you're not getting any joy, put your question on www.xpats.com and someone will be able to help today. Or phone the CHS helpline based in Brussels. I lived there for years.

ginhag Fri 24-Jul-09 13:07:26

Nice one ski

Jacanne Fri 24-Jul-09 14:05:46

When I had a chemical pregnancy I just got bleeding a little heavier than normal about a weel later than normal. The body is a funny thing though - I had a misscarriage at 12 weeks and managed to bleed for 7 weeks afterwards - they said it was a hormonal imbalance caused by the m/c so worth getting it checked out if it carries on for too long.

sayanything Fri 24-Jul-09 17:51:45

Thank you all so much for your replies.

I ended up calling Edith Cavell, where a very nice doctor explained to me that it is quite normal to have irregular bleeding for a few weeks after a miscarriage, but that if it continues into next week, I should go in for a blood test and another echo to make sure that all is ok. Fingers crossed it will stop soon.

skihorse Fri 24-Jul-09 18:08:47

sayanything I'm so glad you were able to get in touch with a nice doctor there. And of course I'm glad everything is fine.

sayanything Fri 24-Jul-09 19:12:25

Thanks skihorse. I'm very new to this - the chemical pregnancy was the result of our very first attempt at ttc, so it's all a bit bewildering...

skihorse Fri 24-Jul-09 20:02:52

You're not alone, my mc last month was my first "success" so it's a kick in the teeth - and of course I started bleeding on a Friday... I'm in NL now so I had to phone the hospital and speak Dutch... which is difficult when you're trying to explain medical terminology when emotions are running high. <sigh>

I personally hate the phrase "chemical pregnancy" - it seems to diminish your loss, makes it sound less personal. A mc is a mc.

I hope you can relax now a bit over the weekend - good weather on the way - find a nice cafe for a chilled beer.

sayanything Sat 25-Jul-09 00:03:45

Not keen on the phrase either, but I thought I'd use it as shorthand to explain how early in the pregnancy I miscarried, given that if the mc occurs later in the pregnancy there's more lining etc which could have explained the bleeding.

I was only 4 days late but I knew, from the day my period was due, that I was pregnant, I just felt it. The kick in the teeth you describe - absolutely know what you mean. I fully sympathise with the language barrier too - my French is by no means fluent which makes everything that much more difficult. But I found out that there is no equivalent for "chemical pregnancy" in French - it was described by my doctor as a fausse couche trés precoce, no distinction.

Fingers and toes crossed for a happier outcome next time ski - and in the meantime, enjoy your weekend and thanks for your kind words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now