Talk

Advanced search

MC, PCOS... now can anyone help to explain this peculiar AF ??? (TMI warning)

(9 Posts)
2ndDestiny Tue 21-Jul-09 00:43:03

This is a long shot but just in case someone can decode the mysterious workings of my uncooperative body...

mc'd late Jan and AF never came back. Diagnosed with PCOS (although I used to ovulate predictably and have conceived twice).

Endocrinologist thinks my PCOS symptoms worsened or even caused by extreme stress since I always ov'd before except for 2 high stress periods of my life. (This year has been the most stressful of my life with illness, bereavement, car crash+broken bones etc. all following the mc, so was not expecting to start ov/AF again soon, despite tackling PCOS with low GI diet, exercise and supplements).

Am 99% sure I still haven't ov'd since mc (don't chart and have given up waiting for it but def no EWCM lately).

But last week I had 4 days of peculiar bleeding (**TMI alert**): watery red spotting, then brown and clotty on day 2, then lots of red blood day 3 but only first thing in the a.m., then watery red spotting again day4, then stopped. None of the usual AF cramps. (My AF is usually more like 5-7 days)

Is this just a strange AF at the end of a very very long, anovulatory cycle?? Is it a sign that my hormones are balancing out and my cycle is about to start up again? Or is my body just playing mean tricks (just when I had started to accept that it's going to be next to impossible to have a baby?)

Any ideas/experiences from fellow PCOS-ers, or anyone else in fact, or even wild guesses as to what's going on, all very welcome! Thanks

OnlyWantsOne Tue 21-Jul-09 08:16:28

No real constructive advice, but just wanted to say that must be tough for you and all the best x x

2ndDestiny Tue 21-Jul-09 11:23:47

No other PCOSers or words of wisdom out there??

Mouette Tue 21-Jul-09 11:25:31

Hi, I have PCOS too and my periods stopped completely after my father died. When they restarted, my first period was similar to what you describe. I had irregular periods and also bleeding between periods, it turned out that not only had I PCOS, I also had polyps in my womb (harmless growths). I had to have them removed before ttc.
Perhaps you could be referred to a gynaecologist and have a scan of the womb and ovaries? Hopefully that could set your mind at rest. It does sound like a good sign though, that the periods are restarting. I am sorry about the mc and hope things get better soon. xx

2ndDestiny Tue 21-Jul-09 11:32:30

Hi Mouette
Thanks for the reply
That sounds reassuring - not the polyps, I mean, but that you also found emotional stress stopped your cycle but then it came back... maybe mine is very slowly and tentatively starting, but don't want to get my hopes up. At last US scan in April my womb was all fine but due to see gynie in 3 weeks so worth getting it checked again. If it's not too nosy of me to ask, did you have your baby or are you still ttc? Are you treating your PCOS with anything to help with ttc?
Thanks again

2ndDestiny Tue 21-Jul-09 11:33:40

PS sorry about your dad

Mouette Tue 21-Jul-09 11:49:03

Hi 2ndDestiny
Thank you - my father died in 1992 so a long time ago. However I had another stressful time more recently (2 redundancies, husband ill) and that also sent my cycle haywire. There is no doubt that stress can stop ovulation completely.
I was treated for PCOS with an operation called ovarian drilling, because I had to have an op anyway to remove the polyps (they're harmless btw, they can however prevent a baby from implanting, it's highly unlikely you have that). That was in June 2007. I finally conceived in December 2007 but sadly lost the baby in April 08 (nothing to do with the PCOS, turned out I also have a weak cervix). I conceived again without further treatment in July 08, finally had my son last April. Hope this gives you hope - I'll be 38 in August. xx

2ndDestiny Tue 21-Jul-09 11:56:43

Gosh you've been through the mill. COngratulations on the birth of your son - I love it when PCOS/mc stories have happy endings, they really encourage me! My mc was also probably unrelated to my PCOS, it's unbelievable how much bad luck you can have in one go sometimes isn't it? I have a few treatment options before the drilling and am only 30 so I guess I should be positive...
thanks again for sharing
xx

Mouette Tue 21-Jul-09 12:17:26

Good Lord, yes - the first line of treatment for PCOS is usually drugs - only if they fail or if there are other pbs will surgery be considered. It's quite a minor op though, nothing to worry about. You have plenty of time and options. xx smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now