Talk

Advanced search

oldest/youngest in the year.

(10 Posts)
spod Fri 20-May-05 21:19:48

dh and i have decided to try for another baby, but prob not till january as this would mean(assumming we conceive quickley) that child would be born October onwards, and therefore be one of the eldest in the school year... as is our dd. Does it make such a difference these days now that kids go to pre school from 2.5 onwards? just wondered what u all think

Pinotmum Fri 20-May-05 21:21:42

I think there's a difference till maybe yr 1 or 2 and then they all balance out.

spod Fri 20-May-05 21:37:47

anyone else?

spod Fri 20-May-05 21:38:12

not that i'm tryong to collect evidence to convonce dh to start trying now!

MarsLady Fri 20-May-05 22:02:21

I have a youngest in the year. She's in Y2 now and her teacher says that she's still a year behind her class emotionally. She would rather play and really enjoys choice time. She's doing well, but if she were in the class below she would be flying. I think it makes a difference but am confident in a couple of years time that she'll catch up and even out with her classmates.

DD1 is one of the oldest in the class and so I see the difference between them. She's doing well and has a real confidence from being one of the eldest. hth

toomanypushchairs Fri 20-May-05 22:12:15

my eldest is dd, she is youngest in year 5 and doing fine, hasn't had any trouble at all. Next child ds1 is oldest in yr 2(6th sept) he was born 2 weeks late, and thank goodness he was. He is scraping average, finds school really hard going, and would much rather play and take things in his stride(he doesn't like to be rushed) he would never have coped being the youngest in the year above. think they are all different!

dawnie1 Fri 20-May-05 22:13:26

Spod, my birthday is 31st August so I was always the youngest in the year from the day I started school. My best friends birthday was 1 September so she was a whole year older than me.
From a confidence, emotional, educational etc point of view there was absolutely no difference (from once I turned 7) but I always hated sport because I was that much smaller & slower than everyone else and always came last and never got picked until I was the last person. I still hate sport - maybe thats why, or maybe I'm just lazy

Tabs Fri 20-May-05 22:28:46

Spod - I was born August 1st, so was one of youngest in my year. Despite this I was in the top 2 or 3 in my year academically, as well as being my school's Sports Captain.

I really don't think it makes the blindest bit of difference - it's all down to the individual.

Hope this helps you persuade DH!

SilverLining Sat 21-May-05 12:53:59

Snap dawnie1 - I'm 31st August too and really take exception to all this talk about struggling! As everyone else has said it totally depends on the individual! I did really well at school from the day I started and would have done no better if I was a day later. I was one of the tallest in my class (dad is 6ft 4"!) and never ever felt I would have been better off a year below. I'm 26 weeks pregnant now with no 2 and its due on 27 August and the number of people who have said "Bet you hope you can hold on until September" you would not believe! I am going to do everything possible to get this baby out before 31st just to prove a point - could be a happy birthday in more ways than one!!!

Good luck Spod whatever you decide but to be honest after taking a lot longer to get pregnant with this baby than no 1 I was just so delighted to be having a baby I couldn't care less when it came!! SL x

Azure Sat 21-May-05 13:20:08

DS has an August 27th birthday and starts school in September and his brother is due August 25th. I have a late September birthday but was always in the year ahead at school. It depends on how the individual child matures - regardless of birthday, some children are ready for school earlier than others. Schools are used to children of different ages and abilities and I think the younger children generally live up to the standards of the class they are in. Generally, I think earlier-born children are more likely to be at an advantage initially but it soon evens out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now